Has anyone successfully substituted marsala wine in a recipe for Chicken Marsala with a non-alcohol replacement?

Student wanting to learn how to make chicken marsala but my establishment does not allow alcohol in kitchen. I've ruled it out because it seems impossible, and still maintain a good flavor. Unless someone out there can help!

Hilarybee
Hilarybee June 18, 2013

I'd try to find verjus. It is made from unripened grapes. It is sweeter than vinegar, but still acidic enough to be a good wine replacement. http://www.bonappetit.com...

Voted the Best Reply!

pierino June 18, 2013

The biggest problem is that if you eliminate the marsala it's literally become another dish completely. That's a shame because the alcohol pretty much burns off with heat. You might try using dried porcini mushrooms and reducing the soaking liquid---possibly sweeting it a bit. But again it's now become the something else and not chicken marsala.

amysarah June 18, 2013

I agree about there being no sub for the taste of Marsala. But the subject of alcohol burn-off comes up here every so often - so it should be added that it's a myth that all (or even most) of the alcohol burns off with most cooking. Per the USDA, after 15 minutes of simmering, 40% is retained; after 30 minutes, 35% remains, and typically, e.g. a Marsala sauce wouldn't simmer longer than that. For many people, that level of retention may be fine, but for many, it's not. At all. For instance, there's a commonly used drug for recovery from alcoholism that causes violent illness if even a trace of alcohol is consumed. So without knowing why someone needs to avoid alcohol, it's dicey to give this - often repeated - advice. A chart of cooking methods/times and alcohol burn off: http://www.ochef.com/165.htm

sexyLAMBCHOPx June 18, 2013

Marsala wine does have a distinct flavor, however you can try this as a non-alcohol substitute: you can use this non-alcoholic substitute:
1/4 cup of white grape juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar

Destany Russell
Destany Russell January 17, 2017

How much of Marsala wine does this amount to?

sexyLAMBCHOPx June 18, 2013

Food52 Editors: Can you expand the viewing/answer typing area to "add your answer here?" It's so small; same with asking a question.

mensaque
mensaque June 18, 2013

Or at least add a way so that we could roll the text,cause right now it's hard to read it while writing.

mensaque
mensaque June 18, 2013

Tricky one...maybe your student could try to follow your recipe at home and film it...you could make a "master class" out of the video with and point his "rights and wrongs","dos and dont's" .