Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

marsala

I am making a recipe for an icebox cake which calls for 2/3 cups sweet Marsala wine or other fortified wine, in which 1 tbsp gelatin is dissolved, and then mixed with cream cheese, pumpkin, whipped cream and sugar. It is poured into the cookie crust and sets in the fridge. I would like to replace the Marsala wine with bourbon, but I am afraid the higher alcohol content will affect the gelatin in some way, such as preventing it from setting.

Do you think bourbon would be an ok substitution? Would you suggest adding more sugar also to make up for the loss of the sweet wine? I typically lean toward cutting back sugar, rather than making something sweeter, though.

asked by Krysten 18 days ago

Bourbon is a fairly sweet spirit. I wouldn't add any sugar. I have never supped bourbon for wine. Have no idea how differently it would work.

C3530c17 ce9c 45b2 9755 cac310550f38  pi day 2015

People make jello shots with vodka, so I think it gels just fine--I found 2 articles on Google that said gelatin can gel liquids that contain up to 40 percent alcohol with no adverse effects and no ratio modifications. So 80-proof bourbon should be fine, but your dessert will be more alcoholic with 2/3 c. bourbon vs Marsala. You might want to cut the bourbon with another liquid. I doubt the loss of the amount of sugar in the wine would make a huge difference in the sweetness of the overall dish, I think it's less than a tablespoon in 2/3 cup

As the others have suggested, I would not add sugar to the recipe when making the bourbon replacement.
If you are worried about using that much (2/3 cup) strong spirits, maybe use 1/3 cup bourbon and 1/3 cup black coffee (cooled).