Have a lot of leftover mushroom/shallot/rosemary gravy made with marsala wine and beef stock-- can I make it into a soup? Or do something else with it?

asked by citizenlinds almost 8 years ago

That sounds so good! Not sure about the soup idea -- but why not try? I'd heat some up in a pot and whisk in a bit of water, stock or milk. Otherwise, you could use it as a starting point for a yummy shepherd's pie.

Savorykitchen

that sounds like a delicious beef & barley soup base - just add it in when you add broth or water.

It might also make an interesting part of the custard base in a savory bread pudding like this one: http://www.food52.com/recipes... I would just sub in the gravy in equal quantities for the milk and/or cream.

Sounds like it would make a great onion soup too. Cook down a bunch of onions in butter maybe and add the liquid a little at a time.

Hilarybee

I like to freeze gravy. Measure it out, and place them in plastic freezer bags. Put them on a tray and let them harden. Soon you will have gravy disks to use whenever you need them.

To me, this sounds like it might make a good foundation for a "pot pie" with some meat and carrots and chopped leeks added, if it really is gravy-like. At least that's where I would be going.

ShieldCook7

I'd say reduce it 60mins and freeze it. Combine with a butter and/or basic Alfredo for pasta sauce in the future.