🔕 🔔

Substitution for wine/sherry/ marsala for use in Spanish style mushrooms.

I need a non-alcoholic substitute, must also be vegan. Would veggie broth and garlic be enough. I am making something like this: http://cooking.nytimes...

asked by Summer of Eggplant over 1 year ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Sounds like a good plan. There's no way to replicate the wine-y flavor, so your approach sounds reasonable.

These are essentially stewed mushrooms.

The only (and the closest) sub I've found for Sherry/Dry Marsala is flat Dr. Pepper. Don't know whether that qualifies as Vegan. Sherry and dry Marsala have a similar flavor profile, and it is very specific. Anything else you use, like stock, will fulfill the liquid requirement, but you'll be missing the specific flavor.
I came up with the Dr. Pepper sub because my BIL is a recovering alcoholic, and my sister needed a non-alcoholic substitute. If this is your dilemma, don't use the wine because altho most will evaporate, not all of it will.

Dr. Pepper is not vegan.

Basically anything that contains cane sugar is not vegan because major commercial sugar producers use (animal) bone char in the manufacturing process, mostly as a decolorizing filter.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

How about some Balsamic Vinegar?

FWIW From Serious Eats- These are the fridge-stable sauces and condiments that can instantly amp up the flavor of a dish with just a dollop or two.

*Tahini and harissa*
*Really good olive oil and vinegars* (sherry, balsamic, white wine, cider). Extra points if you make them into a vinaigrette and store it in a plastic squeeze bottle.
*Good mustard*
*Soy sauce and/or liquid aminos* (like Bragg or Maggi). All three are umami bombs that can add a bit of savory depth to stir-fries, sandwiches, soups, stews, or other condiments.
Miso paste is a great ingredient for marinades, rubs, and dips.
Chili oil adds fat and heat.
Vegan mayonnaise. You can go with the store-bought stuff, but homemade vegan mayo is easy enough, and tastes far superior.
Tare is a Japanese condiment made by simmering flavored soy sauce and mirin until syrupy. It's great for drizzling over grilled or simmered vegetables like broccoli or pumpkin.
Cilantro/Herb sauce is great for adding moisture, heat, and flavor to fried grain-based dishes like falafel or arancini. I originally included a recipe forCilantro Chutney with my Chickpea and Potato Jalfrezi, but it's a great condiment to have around all the time. Mix up the herbs for variety.
*Nut butters* make for an easy and nutritious snack with plenty of protein and fat to fill you up. They can also be used as the base for creamy sauces.

Here is a list of Vegan Pantry Staples from http://www.veggieful.com...

I 'm not vegan, but this is interesting to know.

I was thinking a splash of sherry vinegar might be nice although you have the lemon juice in the recipe that you posted so maybe just a little to add that certain something that sherry has.

Balsamic vinegar is made from wine. Wine is often made using processes that introduce animal products: egg whites or sometimes eisenglas (processed fish bladders), primarily to clarify the wine.

Unless the balsamic vinegar producer states that their Product X is vegan, one should assume that it is *NOT* vegan.

This goes for sherry vinegar producers as well.

I am addressing flavor only. Obviously the vegan side of it would need to be researched by the host. My bottle of Sherry Vinegar includes a toll free number which goes straight to the vineyard that produces the vinegar.

Looked at the recipe and think a combo of (mostly) white grape juice and a splash of cider vinegar or soy sauce will approximate the fruity and acidic profile of sherry. As with other responders, I suspect but am not sure that these products are vegan.
Or perhaps some vegan vinegar diluted with water or stock.
Also agree that you will not get a complete replica of the sherry taste profile.

I have used vinegar before when out of wine. I think a vinegar would be fine in your recipe. Here's more info: http://www.thekitchn.com.... Good luck!