🔕 🔔

Where can I find Alchermes liquor?

This is a fancy Tuscan liquor used for bakery. Available commonly in Italy but having a hard time here in the US.

asked by GIOVANNI50 about 4 years ago

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

I can't guarantee it but you might try Corti Bros. in Sacramento, CA. Try their website or give them a call. They do have pretty amazing products there. Ask for Rick Mindermann if he's available. He'll know. Good luck.

Yeap. This is the link
http://www.cortibros.biz...

Spelled Alkermes. Pierino you are awesome man!

Beata Lei! Non c'e problema.

Looks like you could make your own, too. See http://lpoli.50webs.com...

Tried it but it is not the same. The rose water is a big high quality element to this. It is said the Medicis drank this elixir to keep from getting sick it is very good tasting stuff but it has to be diluted for use in cakes and what not. May be Pierino can share experience with this. I only know because mamma used it a lot in Italy when I was a kid. Cheers

Giovanni you know way more on the subject than I do. I just had a hunch you could find it at Corti. My friend Howard Isaacs devotes a paragraph to it in his "Dictionary of Italian Cuisine" which he co-authored with Maureen Fant. The name originates from Arabic and the traditional style uses cochineal as a coloring agent. The authors cite one particular farmacia in Firenze that still bottles the original formula.

Which farmacia? Is it Santa Maria Novella?

Yes, that would be the one; Antica Farmacia Santa Maria Novella.

I tried calling them and they would not ship from Italy. Cortis is shipping me some.

Giovanni, there is a Santa Maria Novella shop on Wisconsin Ave., just beyond the District line in Friendship Heights. You might try calling them.

That is awesome. So close and yet I didn't know. However, they don't sell the Alchermes there either. Thank you Maedl!

13832e73 8bcd 46ca a3d2 f85008fe06c1  img 6728 a

Trying to recreate a recipe and need this famous liquore... surprisingly found an actual Santa Maria Novella Shop close to me in Bal harbour Shops, Miami (I live in Fort Myers Florida on the west coast of the Florida). Just called and left a message, hoping they will ship to me with credit card purchase or else its looking like a road trip to Miami for me very soon :)

Try the Corti bro. link above. They ship to your door.