🔕 🔔

How far in advance should I put dressing on cole slaw?

asked by lbs70 about 4 years ago

Bb305185 6b66 45c6 ac96 6204c9dd8a30  dsc09796
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

It depends what vegetables are the base of your slaw. Delicate, watery vegetables like cabbage and lettuce (see http://food52.com/recipes...) will wilt and release liquid as they sit, but sturdier vegetables like carrots, radishes, and turnips should marinate in the dressing for an hour or so in order to absorb all the delicious flavors!

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Even when I make a traditional cole slaw with cabbage and carrots I dress it at least 2 hours before. That's because I like a more liquidy slaw. I think it improves the taste

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I've been checking out some oil/vinegar dressed slaws. I like this one -- http://food52.com/recipes... -- and have been checking it day by day. I think it was best after 24 hours, but I'm enjoying it now on day 4. We like our slaw wilted, so overnight is a minimum (creamy or not). This is with the cabbage sliced on a mandoline, by hand or with a food processor. If the cabbage is chopped or shredded, I assume the time would be shorter.

E0cf69c1 daaf 4652 86d9 715c3ef6423c  image

Once dressed do you let it do its thing on countertop or reefer?