I have an abundance of tomatoes, looking for a real authentic red salsa recipe

they are Heirloom tomatoes, would like to roast in necessary

• Posted by: Nan
  • August 6, 2014

HalfPint August 6, 2014

Smitten Kitchen has a 3 ingredient salsa that's delicious and easy,
http://smittenkitchen.com...

she uses romas but can't see why you couldn't use heirlooms, though they tend to be better suited for uncooked salsa. I made this recipe on the grill and it was pretty darn good too. Read the comments section for variations and add-ins.

Susan W August 6, 2014

Mrs Wheelbarrow has a wonderful roasted tomato and poblano salsa. It's geared to be made in large batches and jarred, but she tells you how to make a smaller batch for immediate use. It's on this site. Just use the search function and it will pop right up.

Elisabeth
Elisabeth August 9, 2014

Here is a recipe you might like to try (from The 30 Minute Vegan cookbook):
8 Roma tomatoes, 1/2 red bell pepper, 1/2 green bell pepper, 1/2 yellow onion, 4 garlic cloves, 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 1/2 - 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. black pepper, 1 tbsp. lime juice

Core the tomatoes and place them on a baking tray along with the peppers, onions, and garlic. Broil for 15 minutes. Remove the garlic bulbs from their skins. Add these, the other broiled veggies, and the remaining ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend till smooth.