Am making a lot of pesto from a bumper crop of Basil. Freezing some in small amounts for later use.

Besides stirring it into tomato sauce and into pasta, what other ways can we enjoy this. I love Basil Pesto but have little knowledge of how to serve it.

• Posted by: Adianne
  • July 23, 2013

Couldn't Be Parve
Couldn't Be Parve July 23, 2013

It is great on pizza dough topped with cheese instead of tomato sauce. I also love spreading pesto on fish fillets, sprinkling with parmesan and then baking it in the oven.

HalfPint July 23, 2013

What I usually use for basil pesto:
-sandwich spread. it's dynamite in a caprese sandwich & a turkey club
-dip. mix with mayo & sour cream, serve with chips, vegetable crudites,crackers
-mix with cream cheese for bagels, sandwiches
-spread on top of focaccio dough and bake for a variation.
-mix a spoonful into a minestrone or any vegetable soup

HalfPint July 23, 2013

Forgot one of my favs. Mix pesto with ground turkey. Makes a very moist and flavorful meatloaf or meatballs.

barb48
barb48 July 23, 2013

In omelets, on chicken breasts or under chicken skin before baking. Wish I had some!

Michelle
Michelle July 23, 2013

On toasted mixed nuts. I use it in my homemade chicken meatballs or in a burger. Basically anything that you would add an Italian seasoning to.

ChefJune July 23, 2013

I wouldn't think of putting it in tomato sauce. It stands so well on its own. Makes a great filling for chicken breast roulades, a lovely topping for grilled or broiled fish, delicious as bruschetta topping. The French stir Pistou (pesto without the pine nuts) into bean and vegetable soup and call it "Soupe au Pistou." It's wonderful.

petitbleu
petitbleu July 23, 2013

On sandwiches (especially roasted beet and goat cheese sandwiches), tossed with cooked grains (wheat berries, couscous, farro...), under the skin of a chicken you plan to roast, in frittatas and quiches, spread over the bottom of a pie crust to be used for savory pies, in bean dishes, over risotto or polenta, in mashed potatoes or even baked ones, in salad dressings...essentially, pesto is great in a huge range of dishes. It will infuse summer's flavor into many wintry dishes.

techmama
techmama July 23, 2013

I always add "pesto cube" from the freezer to all my stir fried or sautéed veggies. Also makes a great dip with mixed with plain greek yogurt. Also - a good way to freeze pesto is in an ice cube tray. Once frozen, move to a quart size storage bag. When you need some pesto, one or two cubes is usually the perfect portion.

amysarah July 23, 2013

A 'white' lasagna - no tomato sauce, just bechamel, mozzarella, pecorino and parmesan - is very nice with a drizzle of pesto between the layers.

jsdunbar
jsdunbar July 24, 2013

I know you said you were tired of it with tomato sauce but let me give you 2 quickies:
1) pesto & tomato paste dotted on a pizza crust then swirled together for the sauce
2)brown chicken pieces, with or without sliced onions & mushrooms, the add equal parts pesto & tomato paste, & some red wine, enough for flavour plus thinning the sauce. Simmer, covered, until the chicken is done.

SparkleDiana
SparkleDiana July 24, 2013

I love putting it on a hot open faced sandwich. Spread on toast, top with some red onions and bell peppers, heat under the broiler for a moment.

Patricia Manich
Patricia Manich July 30, 2013

a brick of cream cheese, spread a thick layer of sundried tomato Top a cream cheese brick with sun dried tomato pesto and then top it with the same thickness of basil pesto. Great on artisan bread or crackers. Caution: high calorie, but delicious.

MMH
MMH March 11, 2017

I'm emptying my fridge in anticipation of summer. So far I've squeezed some in to a frittata, I mixed it into to ricotta for lasagna and tonite I'm going to top a pizza. Tomorrow I'm making a cannelloni bean soup. I really have a large quantity. Any other ideas?