I cook and eat low carb--as low as I can go. The gluten-free recipes I find here, using nut flours, are great, even though gluten isn't a problem for me.

I substitute roasted caulflower for pasta with basil pesto or tomato sauce or even meat sauce. What tricks to you have for low carb?

• Posted by: Nora
  • October 4, 2011

boulangere October 4, 2011

I tend to subscribe to the eat less move more philosophy.

Sam1148 October 4, 2011

Try this tech for cauliflower couscous.

Heylucy
Heylucy October 4, 2011

Look for a paleo cookbook, there are some good ones coming out right now (Make it Paleo, Paleo Comfort Foods, to name a couple).

I like using a julienne peeler to make "spaghetti" from zucchini, it's delicious!

AntoniaJames October 4, 2011

Carbs like noodles (any kind), rice and pasta make me really sleepy (and I prefer to consume very little caffeine), so when preparing lunch at home on a workday, I slice napa cabbage paper thin, stir fry it with a handful of bean sprouts and use that as a base for stir fried protein + veggies. Or, if we have leftover meat sauce for spaghetti, or other similar ragu left over, I cut medium zucchini into quarters lengthwise and then cut those pieces into 1.5 inch lengths and sear them in super hot grapeseed oil to caramelize a bit, and use that instead of noodles.. I was thinking about experimenting with "zuccaghetti" just this morning, in fact, for using with the creamed kale that Amanda posted today. I make a lot of frittatas, too, which include pesto or a touch of cheese or a bit of bacon, with leftover veggies on the side. I make double and triple quantities of veggies at dinner, to have plenty for lunches. Nothing like protein plus veggies to keep my energy levels up through the afternoon!! ;o)

wssmom
wssmom October 4, 2011

Totally love AntoniaJames' suggestion of frittatas -- they are a mainstay for me! You also might want to check out the recipes on the food52 site for "raw' food -- there are loads of great recipes for vegetable dishes low in carbs. Good luck!

sexyLAMBCHOPx October 5, 2011

I eat the non-tradional foods offered at meal times. For example, I had a salad for breakfast and don't think you need a carb for a well rounded meal. Moderation and eat outside of the box.

JessicaBakes
JessicaBakes October 5, 2011

Poached eggs on top of well-cooked vegetables (right now, greens are great) is one of my favorites. The creaminess of the yolk provides a homey feel we often look for in carbs.

That said, I am a firm believer in "anything in moderation," since using nut flours and things like that increase fat intake, which isn't always healthy either. Eat what feels good :)