🔕 🔔

The only suitable brining vessel I can find that will also fit in my fridge is a round metal tub we use for ice and beverages while entertaining during the summer. I have two choices - scrub it really well with soap and water or line it with a new clean kitchen size garbage bag. Thoughts?

asked by MplsCitified almost 7 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I'd do the garbage bag -- much easier. Also then you don't have to worry about the liquid sloshing around and potentially spilling.

598d840e 264d 46f0 8411 4ae84e2606af  tally

Thanks! That's the answer I was looking for.

Aa0aef2d aae3 438c a22e 1340af35ed29  face hat underpainting 1

During the winter (since you are in MN), you probably don't need to keep it in the fridge. If you boil the brine in only 1/3 of the liquid and use ice cubes for the rest of the volume you start with a safe cold temp and some is ice. [

You might check for a nearby restaurant supply store. They have relatively inexpensive food grade plastic buckets with lids. It's easier to brine a turkey in something that's more tall than wide.]

Or you could use a smaller igloo cooler (which can be cleaned with bleach water before and after). Same Ice to brine method and again you can hold it at an ice cold temp safely for long enough to finish brining process.