Can you add yeast to buttermilk biscuit mix and let it rise to add lift?

Bought bobs red mill buttermilk biscuit mix and wanted to fluff them up a bit.

asked by Gryphen over 5 years ago

Nora

Yes. Mix 2 and 1/2 cups of baking mix with 3/4 cup warm water and 1 packet of yeast. Knead a minute or so. Shape into rolls as you wish. Let rise on a greased pan. Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes.

If you do this, it won't be biscuits, it will be rolls. Is that the result you are looking for?

Could you replace some of the liquid called for in the recipe with carbonated water?

Liamn

That would make them "Angel Biscuits" a blend of the best of biscuits and buttermilk dinner rolls. you would mix the biscuits with the instant yeast and let the mixture rest in the refrigerator for 2 hrs and then bake at 450 for about 12-15 minutes.

Liamn

Gryphen

We added it in proportion and they rose perfectly and the consistency only changed slightly.