🔕 🔔

Green mold on outside of prosciutto.

I have had my Parma leg in the refrigerator for a few months but it has developed a green mold in some areas. When I was a kid, mamma just cut out the moldy part and the prosciutto was still good, but now I am thinking may be it is not a good idea. Given these prosciuttos sometime hang in cold areas for years, how unsafe is it to have these molds grow?

asked by GIOVANNI50 about 4 years ago

Google what molds do to your body...! What diseases can you acquire (so to be more educated) also on possible products you use!

9a61d3c7 2821 4579 8601 c61c43d1c19f  img 0472

From what I've been told, just cutting the mold doesn't do the trick. If mold is showing, there's a good chance the rest of it's infected too.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Have you been slicing the ham to eat as you go or is it still intact? Check out this blog post: http://ruhlman.com/2011...

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Send it to me. I have some cheese that has green mold on it; it's kinda 'blue and green' and throughout the cheese.

Okay...your fridge might a higher humidity than the parma region..and something might have taken hold there. I honestly don't know..but unless it smells or tastes off I'd say 'fine'. Maybe cut off the mold and salt it again with salt rub. I'd hate to throw that entire leg away..as they do last for ages hung up to cure.

See this, Giovanni: http://chowhound.chow.com...

Darn. My wife made me throw it away... Argh!

Oh, Giovanni, what a shame! You can’t retrieve it?