Green mold on outside of prosciutto.

I have had my Parma leg in the refrigerator for a few months but it has developed a green mold in some areas. When I was a kid, mamma just cut out the moldy part and the prosciutto was still good, but now I am thinking may be it is not a good idea. Given these prosciuttos sometime hang in cold areas for years, how unsafe is it to have these molds grow?

asked by GIOVANNI50 over 5 years ago

Avryl d Paris

Google what molds do to your body...! What diseases can you acquire (so to be more educated) also on possible products you use!

darksideofthespoon

From what I've been told, just cutting the mold doesn't do the trick. If mold is showing, there's a good chance the rest of it's infected too.

Have you been slicing the ham to eat as you go or is it still intact? Check out this blog post: http://ruhlman.com/2011...

Send it to me. I have some cheese that has green mold on it; it's kinda 'blue and green' and throughout the cheese.

Okay...your fridge might a higher humidity than the parma region..and something might have taken hold there. I honestly don't know..but unless it smells or tastes off I'd say 'fine'. Maybe cut off the mold and salt it again with salt rub. I'd hate to throw that entire leg away..as they do last for ages hung up to cure.

See this, Giovanni: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/523554

GIOVANNI50

Darn. My wife made me throw it away... Argh!

Oh, Giovanni, what a shame! You can’t retrieve it?