🔕 🔔

Uses for unripe cantaloupe

I cut open a cantaloupe that I thought was ripe but it wasn't. It doesn't taste horrible but it's not sweet. What can I do with it? My initial plan was to use it in an arugula salad (with prosciutto) but its not sweet enough. Any recipe ideas? Or should I just compost it?

asked by Sweets almost 5 years ago

You could make a mango-melon soup. In a blender, puree the cantaloupe with 2 ripe mangoes; 1/2 cup-1 cup orange juice; 1/2 cup mint leaves and 2-3 tablespoons honey. Add more, juice and/or honey to get to the sweetness you desire. Chill before serving

You could do practically the same recipe above without the mangos. Add some plain yogurt. Maybe some peaches too.

Similar to Monita; suggestion you could turn it into a "white" gazpacho with grapes and almonds.

Adianne

Make melon-mango jam. Delicious!

17years

Or melon lime and ginger jam...

There are chutneys made with green (unripe) mango. Try the cantaloupe in place of the mango (or in combination) in such a recipe.

Sweets

These are all great ideas! Thank you!!

Daria Faulkner

I would blend it in smoothie as a thick base, also juicing it and freezing in. the ice cubes block for the future use might be good

petitbleu

Try a cantaloupe agua fresca--blend the cantaloupe with lime juice and honey or agave for sweetness. You could probably even use a mild-flavored fruit juice to sweeten it. That's too bad about the cantaloupe, though! I hate it when they have no flavor!

paizley

Put it in the blender with sweetener, orange juice, lime juice and tequila. You'll still have a melon flavor and this is just way better than a smoothie! ;D