Uses for unripe cantaloupe

I cut open a cantaloupe that I thought was ripe but it wasn't. It doesn't taste horrible but it's not sweet. What can I do with it? My initial plan was to use it in an arugula salad (with prosciutto) but its not sweet enough. Any recipe ideas? Or should I just compost it?

• Posted by: Sweets
  • July 28, 2013

Monita July 28, 2013

You could make a mango-melon soup. In a blender, puree the cantaloupe with 2 ripe mangoes; 1/2 cup-1 cup orange juice; 1/2 cup mint leaves and 2-3 tablespoons honey. Add more, juice and/or honey to get to the sweetness you desire. Chill before serving

Maedl July 28, 2013

You could do practically the same recipe above without the mangos. Add some plain yogurt. Maybe some peaches too.

pierino July 28, 2013

Similar to Monita; suggestion you could turn it into a "white" gazpacho with grapes and almonds.

Adianne
Adianne July 28, 2013

Make melon-mango jam. Delicious!

17years
17years July 31, 2013

Or melon lime and ginger jam...

susan g July 28, 2013

There are chutneys made with green (unripe) mango. Try the cantaloupe in place of the mango (or in combination) in such a recipe.

Sweets
Sweets July 29, 2013

These are all great ideas! Thank you!!

Frankie J. Weinberg
Frankie J. Weinberg October 13, 2018

Great idea on the chutney! I came to this thread for answers, and your response got me thinking we could create a Thai spicy salad with it in the way they do with unripe mangoes. It'll be worth a try, at least!

Daria Faulkner
Daria Faulkner July 29, 2013

I would blend it in smoothie as a thick base, also juicing it and freezing in. the ice cubes block for the future use might be good

petitbleu
petitbleu July 31, 2013

Try a cantaloupe agua fresca--blend the cantaloupe with lime juice and honey or agave for sweetness. You could probably even use a mild-flavored fruit juice to sweeten it. That's too bad about the cantaloupe, though! I hate it when they have no flavor!

Voted the Best Reply!

AniQuadros
AniQuadros July 31, 2013

I would grill it. Yes , when I grill pineapples, melons, avocados or any type of fruit that can be grilled sometimes they are unripe somehow it gets sweeter and wow it is good! Just sprinkle a little bit of salt and the sweetness will show up like magic. I love grilled fruits.

paizley
paizley February 19, 2018

Put it in the blender with sweetener, orange juice, lime juice and tequila. You'll still have a melon flavor and this is just way better than a smoothie! ;D

Nancy October 14, 2018

To reinforce other ideas - yes, have done the chutney & grilling, and both work wonderfully.
Grilling fruit also benefits from a sprinkling of many/most savory American rubs, like this one:
Tabletmag.com/recipes-2/136706/all-purpose-texas-bbq-dry-rub
Last, haven't tried it but suspect you could do a melon pickle.

Billy
Billy October 14, 2018

YouTube has many videos on how to pick ripe mellons. Not always foolproof but better than not knowing. I like the jam idea. Skip the pectin. Great on a toasted bagel
or stirred into some plain yogurt.