🔕 🔔

food52hotline can I cut a jam recipe in half? My recipe makes seventeen 9 oz jars and I only need eight!

asked by @fikadesigns about 4 years ago

I'm not a jammer, but I can't see why not.

ATL

Yes, but why not check out some recipes for smaller amounts? There are lots out there.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I am a jammer, and I also say 'why not?' Might be a good idea to retain the measurement for lemon juice, though, just to be sure it's acidic enough to be safe.

1715f325 9d38 4557 9eb9 378a8c40de40  open uri20130601 14429 kkgmfn

I've been making jam for about 25 years, and my answer is heck yes. And don't increase the lemon juice to the level of the full recipe unless you want the tartness. Keep an eye on your cook time because you have less volume. Enjoy!