🔕 🔔

food52hotline can I cut a jam recipe in half? My recipe makes seventeen 9 oz jars and I only need eight!

asked by @fikadesigns almost 5 years ago

ATG117

I'm not a jammer, but I can't see why not.

ATL
ATL

Yes, but why not check out some recipes for smaller amounts? There are lots out there.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I am a jammer, and I also say 'why not?' Might be a good idea to retain the measurement for lemon juice, though, just to be sure it's acidic enough to be safe.

Winifred Ryan

I've been making jam for about 25 years, and my answer is heck yes. And don't increase the lemon juice to the level of the full recipe unless you want the tartness. Keep an eye on your cook time because you have less volume. Enjoy!