🔕 🔔

in a macaroni and cheese recipe that calls for mixing cheese, milk, etc with uncooked pasta, is it okay to prepare it in advance and then bake it when i'm ready? Or will soaking the pasta in the milk/cheese mixture make my mac & cheese soggy mush?

asked by queenofsweettea about 7 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

How far in advance? I think you could prepare the cheese mixture ahead and refrigerate it, but I wouldn't mix it all together or I think it would turn to mush.

73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

I can't see it being a problem. For the pasta to start to get mushy it seems that it would need heat. A couple of days or even several hours might be a problem. But an hour or so shouldn't be problem. Are we talking casserole? I would do it because it's all going to be mushy anyway. I have never had a mac and cheese caserole that was the perfect "al dente". Its a casserole: )

I agree with DonnytG on this. Just undercook the mac. Look at it this way, Stauffer's has made fortunes selling frozen mac and cheese.

Ae98fa7a bef9 4fc6 8588 e3c99ceeb847  image

I've made it in advance a ton and it's never been too mushy. I always under cook the mac.

7eaa4b74 4ea8 48a9 9067 c0aa2e0b5c3d  img 0788 hsm

I agree - you can undercook the macaroni just by a minute or two... and that way you can hold the casserole in the fridge until ready to bake.

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

I make it in advance all the time and it never gets mushy. Who here hasn't eaten a bowl of it cold for breakfast, even it you warm it up it doesn't get mushy. I would be more worried about the pasta soaking up the liquid and making it dry.