🔕 🔔

what can i have with my yogurt to add some protein

I have vanilla nonfat yogurt almost everyday how can I stay fuller longer with my yogurt still in play

asked by Catherine about 4 years ago

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Try Greek yogurt -- it's much higher in protein than "regular" yogurt. I mix in half a banana and a handful of crumbled walnuts and I stay full for a pretty long time.

How long foes that keep you full I eat around 6 am and don't get lunch till about 12:30 pm

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Oh, in that case I would definitely have to eat an interim "mini meal". Nothing short of a huge breakfast would keep me full for that long -- sorry!

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

In the long term, feeling full is about calories. In the short term, the body takes a major cue from the amount of fat in a meal, particularly saturated fat, which of course you're getting neither of. Try switching to regular yogurt and see if that helps.

You can make "Greek" yogurt from your current yogurt by suspending it in a muslin or cheesecloth and letting it drain (I line a colander with an old, clean pillowcase and put the yogurt in there, with the entire thing over a bowl to catch drips). A bunch of whey will drain out, and if I remember correctly, it will take a lot of milk sugars with it, leaving you with a yogurt that has a higher protein concentration than before.

To stay full, try adding a bit of fat and fibre (nuts and seeds).

34bbcda3 a958 4ebc 905d 3ecd1687d600  img 3721

Mix in 1-2tbsp chia seeds! Some nuts on top of that doesn't hurt either.

If you are trying to stay satisfied, I recommend what I've been eating for breakfast: four ounces full fat, plain yogurt, a variety of 10 to 15 unsalted nuts (currently Brazil, almomds, hazelnuts, walnuts, macademia, and pine nuts for me), a mixture of pumpkin, sunflower, flax, sesame, and hemp seeds, a few chips of unsweetened coconut, four sliced strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, cherries, and an apricot, topped with no more than 1 teaspoon honey. Along with that I drink one cup of coffee to which I add one cup of hot milk, which I foam. I eat around 6:30 and just vaguely begin to get hungry about noon or 1 pm. For years, I had always eaten a good breakfast, but would be starving by 10:30 No more!

PS You might as well be drinking a glass of non fat milk with sugar in it--that is what vanilla yogurt is, with a few additional bacteria. The sugar is making your blood sugar spike and then drop. Good fats are not your enemy, so add some to your diet and I'll bet you'll notice a big difference. I am highly skeptical of this low fat obsession--I lost weight when I ditched the low fat milk and yogurt in place of the full fat milk.

Thanks so much!!!

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I eat greek yogurt with homemade granola, with nuts for protein, and a drizzle of honey.