Aluminum foil on the grill (corn off the cob, diced potatoes, etc.)--is there a more ecologically sustainable alternative?

asked by Jennifer almost 5 years ago

Declan

Try a "soaked" banana leaf. It needs to be soaked so that it'll last the cooking time and also, not over direct heat. Lighting one side of your BBQ, and closing the lid, created air flow ... Similar to a convection oven. Cook your meat over the lit side, and your corn, etc. over the unlit dide

Diane

I use a small cookie sheet. Food is easily turned or stirred, and you still get the benefit of the smoke for flavor.

mainesoul

I use my case iron pans on the grill for potatoes, etc. I leave corn in their husk and soaked them before putting on the grill - no foil or pan.

savorthis

I'm curious to know more about the health implications with foil too. We always used to make potato packets when camping and this time around we decided not to opting instead to cook in our cast iron pan. But I can't say I would be able to explain why cooking with foil is bad for you. Thoughts?

mainesoul

I find the comments from this site of value. http://www.whfoods.com...

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

I avoid bc of the third reason in the link above (thanks for posting, mainesoul!); environmental impact of foil production is baaaaad.

What about one of those new skillets for the grill? That could be used again and again.

JAC
JAC

I have to agree with Mainesoul. Good cookware can be used on the grill, cast iron is often my pan of choice. I also grill corn in soaked husks. I have a perforated pizza pan that produces a great smokey crust. This time of year you should be able to pick up a fry pan made for the grill on sale.

JAC
JAC

dymnyno

I just put the vegetable directly on the coals or use a cast iron skillet. Simple solutions are always the best!

tammany

I use baking sheets (or trays!), cast iron skillets, and two old - very old - aluminum foil trays. I have no idea where they came from or what they originally held, but I wash them and reuse them and reuse them and reuse them. A trick I learned from a Times article about Chris Schlesinger (recipe for grilled pork chops and peaches with lime and molasses - really great!). The aluminum trays work like a charm. I wouldn't buy them myself (see previous comment on environmental disaster of foil) but since I've got 'em, I use 'em!

lloreen

For veggies cut in larger chunks like potatoes and zucchini or sliced peppers, I have a metal basket with holes in it. It sears the veggies and makes it easy to toss them without losing any to the fire. You can find these specialty grilling baskets almost anywhere, like world market or maybe target....it won't work for corn off the cob, but it is great for any other veggie.