What are the advantages of hot pickling over cold pickling? Are there times when you should always pickle a fruit or veggie with a pickling liquid that has boiled for a short time?

asked by TheWimpyVegetarian almost 8 years ago

I always thought of cold pickling as a short-term pickle -- something you'd keep in the fridge -- and that hot pickling was for long term storage.

TheWimpyVegetarian

I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure. If I'm pickling something that I'm going to eat in the next couple weeks I'm not sure I need to boil the liquid. I know I need the sugar to dissolve, but was thinking I could use agave nectar to eliminate that requirement. Just wasn't sure if there was something else I was missing. Thanks very much for your response!