Is there a way to save egg wash?

I make a lot of crostatas with egg wash on the dough, but there's so much egg wash left over and I hate having no option but to give it to the dog (she, of course, feels quite differently about the matter...). Is there a way to save egg wash, either in the fridge or the freezer?

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

You could freeze it or make something out of it right away (like a quiche). Do not store pooled eggs in the refrigerator as it can be a breeding ground for salmonella bacteria.

You'll be fine storing it in the refrigerator for 24 hours or so, covered. If you add a drop of lemon juice, it will prevent the eggs from turning orange-ish as they oxidize. Alternatively, whisk into some simmering stock for a quick, silken soup. I usually add my leftovers to the cats' or dog's dinners, depending on which species has misbehaved the least lately.

ATG117

You could make scrambled eggs or an omelet with it, I suppose. Do dogs and cats eat raw eggs? The dog I grew up with only ate dog food. I must have missed this.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Thanks; I should have been clearer that I wanted to save it as eggwash (for the next crostata or pie). Yes, dogs love eggs, ATG, at least all the ones I've had did!

cookbookchick

I nuke mine briefly so the eggs are cooked and then add them to the dogs' dinners. Waste not..! But I do not save leftover egg wash to use as egg wash again.