Is there a way to save egg wash?

I make a lot of crostatas with egg wash on the dough, but there's so much egg wash left over and I hate having no option but to give it to the dog (she, of course, feels quite differently about the matter...). Is there a way to save egg wash, either in the fridge or the freezer?

• Posted by: Diana B
  • August 18, 2013

a Whole Foods Market Customer

You could freeze it or make something out of it right away (like a quiche). Do not store pooled eggs in the refrigerator as it can be a breeding ground for salmonella bacteria.

boulangere August 18, 2013

You'll be fine storing it in the refrigerator for 24 hours or so, covered. If you add a drop of lemon juice, it will prevent the eggs from turning orange-ish as they oxidize. Alternatively, whisk into some simmering stock for a quick, silken soup. I usually add my leftovers to the cats' or dog's dinners, depending on which species has misbehaved the least lately.

ATG117
ATG117 August 18, 2013

You could make scrambled eggs or an omelet with it, I suppose. Do dogs and cats eat raw eggs? The dog I grew up with only ate dog food. I must have missed this.

Diana B
Diana B August 18, 2013

Thanks; I should have been clearer that I wanted to save it as eggwash (for the next crostata or pie). Yes, dogs love eggs, ATG, at least all the ones I've had did!

cookbookchick
cookbookchick August 19, 2013

I nuke mine briefly so the eggs are cooked and then add them to the dogs' dinners. Waste not..! But I do not save leftover egg wash to use as egg wash again.