🔕 🔔

Is there a way to save egg wash?

I make a lot of crostatas with egg wash on the dough, but there's so much egg wash left over and I hate having no option but to give it to the dog (she, of course, feels quite differently about the matter...). Is there a way to save egg wash, either in the fridge or the freezer?

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

asked about 4 years ago

Wholefoods user icon

You could freeze it or make something out of it right away (like a quiche). Do not store pooled eggs in the refrigerator as it can be a breeding ground for salmonella bacteria.

You'll be fine storing it in the refrigerator for 24 hours or so, covered. If you add a drop of lemon juice, it will prevent the eggs from turning orange-ish as they oxidize. Alternatively, whisk into some simmering stock for a quick, silken soup. I usually add my leftovers to the cats' or dog's dinners, depending on which species has misbehaved the least lately.

You could make scrambled eggs or an omelet with it, I suppose. Do dogs and cats eat raw eggs? The dog I grew up with only ate dog food. I must have missed this.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Thanks; I should have been clearer that I wanted to save it as eggwash (for the next crostata or pie). Yes, dogs love eggs, ATG, at least all the ones I've had did!

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

I nuke mine briefly so the eggs are cooked and then add them to the dogs' dinners. Waste not..! But I do not save leftover egg wash to use as egg wash again.