sweet hot-pepper condiment

I'm looking for a recipe, or even a name, for a sweet hot-pepper condiment as served at the Falafel Drive-In in
San Jose, California. It was fairly sweet and thick and had whole hot peppers in it -- I believe the peppers used were dried rather than fresh.
I no longer live in that area, and I really miss it. I don't even know the name of the condiment, which makes finding a recipe a little difficult. ;) If anyone has an idea of what it might be or is familiar with the drive-in and can help out, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

asked by beejay45 almost 5 years ago

It's harissa. This looks like a close approximation of the Falafel Drive-In sauce, http://www.splendidtable...

But isn't that one dang fine sauce?! May have to go to Falafel Drive-In soon for the sauce and the banana shake.

beejay45

Ah! I was hoping someone on here would be familiar with the place. Thanks so much. When I still lived near them, I tried asking what it was called, and all I got was a mumbled, "Hot sauce." Not big no charm there. ;) Yet we all keep coming back, so they're doing things right in the food department.