The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

I made a cucumber soup from a recipe here (Chilled cucumber soup with yogurt and fresh mint) but the pepper I used (a tobago pepper from my garden) turned out to be very hot. How do I tame down the heat in my cold soup?

asked by AlainB almost 7 years ago
397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

You have a couple of choices. You can try to dilute the heat by adding more of everything else. You could add mashed potato or bread to soften the blow, but it sounds like that wouldn't be such a great choice for a fresh cucumber soup -- this method works better with heartier winter soups.

Dc4f378d 9c5f 4bc7 bccc a12dec743a08  pic

I added some yogurt, it mellowed it out.

Bc343245 99fb 4d2b 8579 9bf9c485181e  me

Dairy is a great way to tame heat! Adding lime juice can do the trick too and would go with the flavors here. On a side note I also know someone who swears by adding tequila to tame heat when he makes chili.