What's growing in my pickled hot peppers?

I sliced fresh hot peppers and put them in a mixture of apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, and rice vinegar. All the vinegar had an acidity of 5%+. There is now a film/growth in the jar. What is it? Has is ruined my mixture, or can it be filtered/boiled away?

• Posted by: kd5fcy
  • August 26, 2011

boulangere August 26, 2011

Is it throughout the jar, or on the surface? It will be interesting to see what some of the very knowledgeable picklers on pickling have to say about your dilemma.

kd5fcy
kd5fcy August 26, 2011

It was kind of spider web looking, floating throughout. I have since stirred it a bit and it all sank down with the peppers at the bottom. The vinegar is still relatively clear now that it has resettled. When this first started, it looked like the sediment from the apple cider vinegar... just little bits floating here and there, mainly sinking with the peppers. I haven't been able to get any decent pics of it with my cellphone, unfortunately. :-(