baby turnips

I got baby turnips in the CSA box this week, and I'm just not a great fan of turnips. I'm wondering if anyone has a recipe that will change my mind. I know there are some threads here on similar subjects, but since they're from quite a while ago I thought I'd ask anyway and see what you all have to say about it this year. In particular I'd like to find ways to balance the bitterness of the turnips (also wondering if the flavor profile of baby turnips is significantly different from fully mature ones). Thanks in advance!

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

asked about 5 years ago

healthierkitchen

are they tiny white ones? If so, they are generally sweeter than the large ones. With the tiny ones, you don't even need to peel them, just scrub them and cut of the ends and roast them with a little olive oil in a 450 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Test them to make sure they're soft on the inside and then sprinkle a little sea salt.

David

I like to trim them, cut into 1/2 inch high discs brown in butter in a skillet(get them really brown but not black) sprinkle with salt, pepper and a little sugar. Add chicken stock to just cover and simmer in stock for 15 minutes.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Thanks for the ideas. I wouldn't call them tiny exactly, but they are definitely smaller than mature ones --I am hoping they are a little sweeter than the large ones. I like the roasting idea -- always a great way to bring out the sweetness in anything, really. I have a feeling more turnips are coming my way in the CSA box so hopefully I can find a way to appreciate them!

healthierkitchen

If they're bigger than bite sized just cut them up like you would potatoes and roast as above! I love them that way.

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks