🔕 🔔

How do you store peeled ginger?

Have been using ginger for inflammation but need only a small amount at a time so had do I store the remainder to keep it fresh?

asked by Jeannette Tyas about 4 years ago

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I submerge mine in sherry or sweet wine and keep it in the fridge.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

You may want to consider slicing it thin and candying it; then you can carry it with you wherever you go, enjoy it anytime, and never have straggling amounts in the fridge. Personally, I love a slice of candied ginger in my cup of black coffee -- it gives it a slight sweetness and ginger flavor (surprisingly good with coffee) and then I have the rehydrated slice of ginger at the end (not quite the same as eating the worm at the bottom of the Tequila, but that doesn't seem quite appropriate first thing in the morning either!). ;)

Ed393afc ec39 4889 9b89 21d629538eff  misc.oranges and primavera tree 008

I dry it well, then wrap in a paper towel. It will easily keep a week in a very cold fridge. Also, immerse in a jar of sherry, as suggested by Diana. The flavored ginger keeps forever and goes well in stir-fries.

783b5334 3415 40c6 8994 2245307bc4b2  img 0036

It freezes beautifully.