🔕 🔔

Baking bread in the oven - Dutch oven or Clay pot?

Which is better?

asked by Miss Frizzle about 4 years ago

A99cf0a7 035d 47b3 abf9 a21b1796e127

Depends on what sort of bake and finish you want on your bread, and your oven. Really the best is to try with both, lids on and off and get to know your oven.

I've had great luck baking bread (artisan style) in the dutch oven... made a REALLY nice crust, evenly browned. Good luck!

28ea5a23 bb29 40e7 9124 bd9dddedbe1e  2013 08 02 08.46.47

What size of a dutch oven should I use? And should I get a round or oval pan?
In the past I've mostly baked sandwich bread, but I want to try doing more artisan style bread, so I'm just trying to figure out which is the easiest. It seems the dutch oven is more versatile at least.

I've used a clay pot for years and years with great success.