🔕 🔔

Philly Cheesesteak Sauce Recipe

Hi - I'm looking for an authentic Philly cheese steak sauce recipe. I've found recipes that call for Cheez whiz and white american, but I'm not sure if this is the right choice. We live in Colorado and want to make the sandwiches during a Denver Broncos/Philadelphia Eagles game on Sunday. Any help is appreciated.

asked by bulldawgmama almost 4 years ago

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Cheez Whiz is authentic, but others also use provolone and white American.

0316714e acc4 4088 9eb3 6508a024a5b9  stringio

Thanks so much for the confirmation. I just had doubts about buying cheese product, but I want to be authentic!

6f85b483 fec3 4360 b32b cb06736820ab  twitterprofilepic

American for sure & yes Cheez Whiz, too. There really aren't any "sauces" used on an authentic Philly cheesesteak. Chip steak meat, cheese, & sauteed onions on a roll. That's all!

I don't use chip steak meat for my Philly cheesesteaks, rather super thin slices of rib eye (butcher will do it) or I partially freeze my own and try my best with slicing. I have cheated and used Steak-ums. I offer chopped onions for Wit Whiz & cook it under the steak and Wit Out, for someone like my who doesn't want onions (Wit Out). The roll should be long and crusty, IMO so there's real estate for other add-ons, including the juice from the meat. Yum, I'm hungry.

sexyLAMBCHOP is absolutely right on the proper presentation of Philly cheese. Although we may have to bomb Philly before they develop a nuclear weapon.

Velveeta works for cheese steaks. Cut a block of it into cubes and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between. Depending on the amount of cheese it could take up to 2 or 3 minutes.

Cheese Whiz is a viable authentic component of a real Philly cheesesteak, but not necessary. There are a lot of great cheesesteak shops in Philly that don't even offer Whiz. Save it for the French fries, where Whiz is a must for dipping. It's still a true Philly cheesesteak, and a better one, IMO, with white American cheese, just don't mix the two. Serve them with hot cherry peppers and ketchup on the side.

Also, another suggestion if you want to really please your Philly fans, serve a tomato pie as well. A tomato pie is like Sicilian pizza but served on a rectangular crust more like focaccia and topped with a good thick tomato sauce made with crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and oregano and no cheese except maybe a sprinkle of good quality grated Parmesan or locatelli cheese and a drizzle of olive oil. It's never served hot, always at room temp. Oh and maybe overnight some authentic Philly soft pretzels. Just google, "overnight Philly soft pretzels" and you'll have many options. Serve those with grainy mustard.

If you don't have time for that, you can just plan another Philly themed party for the Super Bowl, haha, you know, before we Philly folk get bombed by the haters. Enjoy!

Philly did actually use weapons of mass destruction on its own people but the UN Security Council failed to act.

Thanks, Dazeyduke. I'm going to make the soft pretzels tonight. Maybe this will be a super bowl preview. Let's see how Chip Kelly's offense does at this altitude.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Can you get Bassett's Ice Cream locally? If so, that's a good Philly-centric dessert.

Thanks, AmySarah. Unfortunately, we don't have Bassett's ice cream here. :(

Thanks for all of the help. Our tailgate was a success with philly cheese steaks with white american cheese and soft pretzels!