What do you think of using this apple peeler/corer tool http://tinyurl.com/peelercorer, which makes thin, uniform slices, for making apple pie?

Specifically, I'm planning to make this Truly Scrumptious Apple Pie (Wildcard winner) http://tinyurl.com/MrsLPie . The thickness of the slices appears not to be adjustable. Thank you, everyone. ;o)

Greenstuff September 27, 2013

I have one of those, although the slicing part hasn't worked in decades. I do use it sometimes, just to peel, more often for applesauce than for pies. With your knife skills, I can't think why you'd use it unless you were making lots and lots of pies. And my memory is that the slices were thinner than I'd want for that recipe.

Lemongrass&Lime
Lemongrass&Lime September 27, 2013

I have one and think they are wonderful. Enjoyable to use and give you perfectly peeled and sliced apples for pies.

EmilyC
EmilyC September 27, 2013

Hi AJ -- I have one and I love it! Instead of clamping to the side of a table or counter, mine has a suction base. It makes quick work of apples for pies, crisps, and applesauce. I just did a double batch of the Genius Roasted Applesauce (so about 8 lbs of apples) and had my apples prepped in about 3 minutes! You can also use it for pears and potatoes.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick September 27, 2013

Mine is like EmilyC's , with a suction cup. Once you adjust it properly, it works well. Try one, AJ!

sexyLAMBCHOPx September 27, 2013

I just use an adjustable mandolin for uniform slices. Perhaps Mrs L will weigh in to what she uses...

Greenstuff September 27, 2013

Actually, it looks from her picture like she may well have used one of these peeler/corer/slicers. I'd personally go thicker, but she's the pro!

mrslarkin September 27, 2013

Hi guys. I don't have one of those peeler/corer doodads. Personally, I like the meditative qualities of doing it all by hand. BUT I was tempted when I saw it in Provisions. It's not clear whether or not it also slices the apples, but I'm sure it must. The version that King Arthur has does all three. Have fun this apple season and go make some pie!

sexyLAMBCHOPx September 27, 2013

@MrsL - Are you selling these tasty pies at any of the NY/CT farmers markets?