🔕 🔔

I'm making an apple pie. How many pounds of apples should be used for a 9.5 inch pie dish? And which are the best kind?

asked by JessP over 5 years ago
De461e32 fb58 4b86 a0f9 55234ca13ab5  headshot
broccolirose

Natalie is a recipe tester for Food52.

For Mark Bittman's Traditional Apple Pie (9" dish) he says to use 5 or 6 Cortland or McIntosh apples which is about 1 to 1.5 lbs. My mom used to have her own pie business and uses a mix of Granny Smith and a softer apple to balance the flavor (tart and sweet) and texture (firm and soft). Good luck!

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I don't measure in pounds I use 6 or 7 apples. I also mix different kinds, a granny smith is usually in the mix whatever looks good at the farmers market. I exclude macintosh and apples like that that are not firm and don't hold up to baking. I usually just mix them up but this year I am doing as mrslarkin does and layer the different types of apples.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

It depends on the apple, but for a 9 inch pie I use about 8 apples. A mix is really nice, and local apples are even better. Some favorites for pie: Northern Spy, Idared, Cortland, Liberty, Russet, Baldwin. I find that late-maturing apples (like the Spy) are firmer and may take a bit longer in the oven. Be sure to wait until the filling is bubbly. Macs are too soft for a whole pie, but a couple are nice for their sweetness. It is worth seeking out different sorts of apples. See the article about apple varieties in this week's New Yorker.