I'm making foodie gift baskets as gifts this year, and I'd like to include several varieties of flavored/infused salts. Got some ideas in mind, including wine-infused and balsamic-infused varieties, but not sure how to go about making those two. Would I just lightly grind some of the liquid into the salt? maybe reduce them a bit and then add? I'd like for the finished salt to be dry, but it's okay if they're a little moist. I'd like the infused flavors to be pretty punchy, if possible. (also, if you've ever made/tried any flavor of salt that's knocked your socks off, feel free to share!) :)

mrslarkin November 28, 2010

Not sure about adding liquids to salts, as the salt would dissolve, I'm guessing.

I've read about making your own smoked salt, and something that is right up my alley, vanilla salt, which I think is a similar process as making vanilla sugar, using a vanilla bean and sticking it right into a jar of salt. The vanilla salt could be used in sweet and savory applications.

campagnes
campagnes November 28, 2010

Yeah, that's my fear. That's why I'm wondering if reducing the liquid first might maaaaybe make it more workable.. I'm hoping such a high ratio of salt to a low, concentrated amount of liquid might make it less likely to fully dissolve. Might just have to play around with it some...

I love the vanilla salt idea. I was thinking of playing around with a cocoa/vanilla salt with a little sugar thrown in there. Other than on caramels or truffles, I'm not sure what the heck I'd use it on, though!

drbabs November 28, 2010

Try these citrus-infused salts from aargersi:

lastnightsdinner
lastnightsdinner November 28, 2010

@drbabs, you beat me to it!

campagnes
campagnes November 28, 2010

Oh yeah, I saved aargersi's recipe to my favorites yesterday.. those will definitely be part of the party! They sound fantastic.

hardlikearmour November 28, 2010

I think you can mix liquid with coarse salt, as long as it's a small amount liquid to a larger amount salt. I just mixed a bit of cabernet with some kosher salt, and spread it out on a piece of parchment to dry. It seems to be working.

campagnes
campagnes November 28, 2010

I'm making balsamic and cabernet reductions right now to experiment with... we'll see what happens!

hardlikearmour November 29, 2010

cool....let us know the outcome! My salt dried just fine with the cabernet, but really no big flavor addition. i hope the reductions work well, and maybe you'll have an awesome new recipe to share. :)

Bevi
Bevi November 29, 2010

rosemary salt?

AntoniaJames November 29, 2010

How about this? Not vinegar or liquid flavored, but numerous blends, created by a talented and experienced cook who has contributed many, including contest-winning, recipes to food52:

She has a similar series of sugar blends, also submitted to the "Best Edible Gift" contest, for anyone interested. ;o)

Jon Palmer
Jon Palmer November 29, 2010

Saffron! A good coarse sea salt and saffron! I know saffron is expensive, but a little goes a long way, and a saffron-tinged sea salt would add some great aromatic qualities to a number of dishes.

Another idea that comes to mind - there are some varieties of smoked sea salt available. Combining one of those with smoked paprika would create a great smoky element to add to foods.

campagnes
campagnes November 29, 2010

These are such great ideas.. Thanks so much, everyone! Writing everything down :). and haven't had time today to play with my reductions, but will report back tonight for sure.

Kitchen Butterfly
Kitchen Butterfly November 29, 2010

I just made some flavoured salts, see this post...http://www.kitchenbutterfly.com/2010/11/21/international-incident-salt-party-how-to-make-finishing-salts/

On your liquid-salt combo (wine/balsamic), mix the liquid with the salt, rubbing in with your fingers then spread out on a tray/flat plate and leave to air dry. Just a thought as I haven't done it before.....

campagnes
campagnes November 29, 2010

Well, here's what happened.. I reduced about 1/4 cup balsamic down to about 1 tablespoon and mixed it into about 1/4 cup kosher salt. Spread it out on a plate to let it dry. It's still kind of tacky, but seems to be drying well.

I also reduced 1/2 cup cabernet to about 2 tbsp and mixed that into another 1/4 cup kosher salt.

The problem I'm having is - giggle - that both mixtures are so salty that i'm having a hard time discerning whether they have enough balsamic/wine flavor. campagnes