🔕 🔔

Dried morels question

I just found a bag of dried morels a friend brought me from France (+/- 6 months ago.) I'd used some, then totally forgotten they were there (oops!) I recall jars of dried mushrooms in my mother's pantry for ages, and I'd like to use these at Thanksgiving - but I'm wondering if that's pushing it? (I know they'll be safe, am only concerned about their flavor holding up.)

asked about 4 years ago

Make a mini test recipe and see!

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Six months should not be a problem for any dried mushroom.

You might take a look at this site http://www.dried-morels...

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Thanks for the link - really helpful!

We have stored dried morels in a glass airtght container for over a year with no adverse effects. They will be an elegant addition to your Thanksgiving table. Find a recipe that showcases them. And if you love them as much as I do, save the liquid you reconstitute them in and make your next batch of pasta with it!

I actually might use them the night before T-giving, for a light dinner w/arriving guests - maybe a mushroom soup, with a little sherry. I'd use the liquid in the soup - but I have used the soaking liquid from, e.g., dried porcini, in pasta and risotto before. It would be criminal to toss it!