Dry or fresh morels for mushroom risotto?

I'm planning on making a mushroom risotto. I like using both fresh and dry mushrooms. I make a broth with the dry mushrooms and use that instead of chicken broth. I'm thinking of using morels. Dry morels are cheaper. Is there a difference between dry and fresh morels?

asked by Scottielew almost 4 years ago

Just like any mushroom, there is a difference when dried over fresh. Fresh morels are sooo expensive that I would probably go for the dried unless I could justify the expense. Everyone should try fresh morels at least once. :0)

By the way, that last line was me justifying the expense for you. :)

bigpan

I use dry so that I can use the mushroom water with the rice for added flavor.

Scottielew

I totally agree!!