🔕 🔔

My sister is 24, lives in NYC and is just beginning to enjoy cooking. For Christmas I would like to buy her a cookbook, but I need one that is simple with great photos. Any suggestions?

asked by Table9 about 6 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I think Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa cookbooks are very user-friendly and have gorgeous photographs. Her latest is called, "How Easy is That?" so it could be right up your alley.

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

My friend Amy McCoy's "Poor Girl Gourmet" cookbook is great for young cooks on a budget. http://poorgirlgourmet...

I'm also really excited about Kate McDonough's new book "The City Cook". It's not as photo-heavy but is an incredible resource for New Yorkers, in particular, who want to take full advantage of their small kitchens.

http://www.thecitycook...

You may want to check out the Tom Colicchio book, Think Like a Chef. It's got great photos. It teaches you some very valuable techniques.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I agree with drbabs that Ina really makes new cooks feel comfortable. If you have a Costco nearby, you can get her books discounted. Pre Ina, the Silver Palate cookbooks are very user friendly and there are great diagrams and such with meat cuts, oven temps, and great variations on themes.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Get her 2 and make one The Flavor Bible.

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I second (or third?) the Ina Garten cookbooks. Her newest has very simple recipes. I also would recommend Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. One of the first cookbooks I ever owned was Everyday FOOD (a Martha Stewart company, but the recipes have different authors). The recipes are fast, simple and the cookbook is organized by season, which I love. I learned how to cook via Martha, and I still use many of the recipes and techniques in this book, many years later.

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

How to Eat Supper, Lynn Rossetto Casper and Sally Swift, or a significant step up, A New Way to Cook, by Sally Schneider. Schneider really teaches how to improvise and have fun.

70a78f0d 8ab1 412b ba57 b21f44c4df97  face of world food

I would recommend a subscription to Cuisine at Home. It's got excellent photos along with step by step photos for the more difficult recipes. The recipes are always a success! Plus, there's nothing more fun than being remembered every month of the year.

I would recommend the Better Homes and Gardens red plaid cookbook. It's a good beginners comprehensive cookbook with all the food terminology, a glossary, cooking technique and simple, easy to understand recipes for every course, plus has chapters on canning and pickling if she wants a go. I think everyone should have one reference type cookbook. I had the Joy of Cooking when I started and it was comprehensive, but too difficult for me who had never stepped foot inside a kitchen. I appreciate it now as a reference book, maybe that would suit her if she has some experience. There's always the internet for demo's too.

My favorite gift cookbook is Five Spices, Fifty Dishes by Ruta Kahate. It's tasty Indian food that's do-able at home, by beginners.

E935f21b d722 4870 bfc7 d37d1ef8e084  becky

Anne Willan's "The Good Cook" is a great book for beginner foodies--it has photos and explanations about technique; the recipes work and are not complicated--just what a budding cook needs when she wants to know how to cook steak, or make a sauce, or cook a vegetable. Anne wrote it I think for her daughter who was always asking her why do you do it this way and not that way (guess she didn't read her mom's "La Varenne Practique!")

For inspiration and since she lives in NYC, get her the Mamofuko book too!

E29013c2 3e90 48ab b297 41e445e1e562  sunshine small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Wow. Lots to weigh in on here.

The Ina Garten/Barefoot Contessa cookbooks. Yes, they are full of gorgeous photos. The first book has dozens of foolproof recipes, but some of them can be a bit involved. The newest book -- "How Easy Is That?" -- is actually *terrible*. Go look at the Amazon reviews to see what I mean. Maybe her 2nd most recent book? "Back to Basics"?

Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" really does teach a lot of the basics, but I find a lot of the recipes underspiced and a newish cook might be hesitant to ignore his quantities. That said, it does have a lot of technique and hand-holding. It's more or less picture-free though.

The Tom Colicchio "Think Like a Chef" is a *beautiful* book, but it's NOT for a new cook. Lots of very complicated technique, few "basic" recipes, and I've found some of the cooking times and temperatures to be way, way off.

The Momofuku Ko cookbook is also gorgeous, but oh my goodness is it complicated. Maybe in a few years. ;-)

I'm surprised no one's mentioned "The New Best Recipe". It can be a little overly pedantic, but if you're someone who likes to understand the "why" of things, it really can teach you a lot without boring you completely to death with science like Harold McGee can.

Finally, if you wanted to splurge, I've taken a number of classes at Manhattan's Institute of Culinary Education (google it up) -- they're quite good and have made me much more at ease in the kitchen.

9699537b 749b 4745 8e34 2e0256cc3aa2  stringio

What about Amanda Hesser's "The New York Times Cook Book"?

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

There are no photos of any of the recipes in Amanda's "Essential NYT Cook Book," but the recipes are so well-written with no detail overlooked, it's like Amanda and Merrill are holding your hand all the way through the cooking process. Ditto for Bittman, even without the pictures.

One of my sons gifted me with "The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook, 2001-2010" and DVD from the PBS series. Besides a color photo, each recipe has a headnote telling "Why This Works." If you know anything about ATK, Chris Kimball, "Cook's Country" or "Cook's Illustrated," you know that each recipe is tested and tweaked pretty thoroughly before it goes public. The recipe alone for foolproof chocolate frosting (the best, chocolatiest, easiest, smoothest and creamiest frosting ever) is worth the price of the book.

My mother-in-law gave me the red-plaid BH&G cookbook in 1970. I still have it, but barely--it's very well-worn and a few of its butter-stained pages are falling out. I gave copies to my three daughters-in-law, who all used it regularly and still refer to it, even though they've gone gourmet. I think that says a lot for the book. One of its best features, besides its trustworthy recipes, is that its three-ring binding allows its pages to lie flat while the book is open. (Don't buy the paperback edition with the plastic-spiral binding--I bought the pink-ribbon edition for myself, just to have the new, revised version, and it started to fall apart within months.) Another feature that I love is that it's arranged and typeset in a way that every recipe--the complete recipe--is on one page, so you don't have to flip pages back and forth while you're cooking because the ingredient list is on one page but the directions are behind it. (Ahem, WW Norton, Amanda's publisher.)

I think the easiest way to go about this is to go to either the local library or amazon.com and look through the table of contents of all the books mentioned here and a whole lot more that aren't (quite a few of the cookbooks available through amazon.com have a feature that lets you look inside the book). The book with the most recipes that suit your sister's taste is the winner.

F7848b0f a38f 4475 81a6 30e065cef3d3  img 0762

Even without the photos, Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" is hands down just the best cookbook-bible. He explains everything in detail and explains how and why certain things work, so that you can actually learn how to cook, rather than simply follow a recipe.

I would go on Amazon and find a used copy of Guiliano Hazan's Classic Italian Cookbook. It is a WONDERFUL book with lovely pictures, a keeper forever, and your sister will be able to get all the ingredients called for in NYC (tell her about DiPalo's on Grand Street and Buonitalia in The Chelsea Market) - and, seriously, who doesn't love Italian pasta?

6771159c ee75 44a8 8a42 f47f3501e264  img 2310 2

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

The Supper Book by Marion Cunningham, tho without photos, is a wonderful, quirky, practical book for cooking every day, including for one. Her companion book The Breakfast Book, ditto for breakfasts. Agree with above about Bittman. Nigella Lawson's books are pretty and easy but unreliable recipes (at least for me) so not great for a beginning cook. Love the 1950s Betty Crocker re issue with the red and white cover. Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, although it is large and could be overwhelming, Nice small cookbook: Judith Evan Jones Cooking for One.

luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

What about The Urban Pantry? Canal Street series?
Martha Stewart's Quick Cook books (two books about dinner in under an hour, beautifully photographed). Lee Bailey's books have easy recipes and are gorgeous and southern, might be nice if your sister is homesick. This is absolutely the best gift to need to think about and buy! Have fun!!

luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

and get her a copy of the dvd of Julia Child's The French Chef for inspiration. also you might be able to get a gift certificate for the cookbook store on lex and 94th Kitchen Arts and Letters and the staff could help her pick out a cookbook of her own!!
should i stop now?

I'm pretty partial to La Varenne Practique by Anne Willan. Despite having some advanced stuff in there, there are great pics on how to do EVERYTHING you could ever need to do in a kitchen. Great way to learn what to do with stuff. Mostly technique, but good recipes as well. Alternatively, I think an old edition of Joy of Cooking is great. No photos, but all the basic info you could ever need...

I find Donna Hay cookbooks to be simple, straightforward, and have absolutely gorgeous pictures. She has many cookbooks on different topics, but I really like The Instant Cook and Modern Classics 1 for a young person just beginning to cook. If you don't know Donna Hay, she is a best selling cookbook author from Australia. I'd say most recipes are very simple and use a minimum of ingredients, full of flavor and easy to prepare. http://www.donnahay.com...

B3b760a1 f3b5 4458 a086 6fdcd62c6cb4  lukas volger credit cara howe landscape

It doesn't have photos, but Alice Waters' The Art of Simple Food is a book I go to over and over again for basic recipes and techniques. I've never had a dish from it fail me, and I have used it a LOT.

If you check out "The Pioneer Woman's" blog you will see how detailed her photos are of the recipes she prepares. Her cookbook is the same..detailed gorgeous step by step photos of EVERY recipe.
Also, check out Susan Branch's website. She writes THE cutest cookbooks you will ever see. Every recipe is handwritten, and she paints all the pictures in watercolors. She writes very sweet stories about the recipes,and it makes you just want to curl up in a cozy chair and feast your eyes on the cutest cook book ever!
Even if you didn't want to cook a thing, ALL of her books are a pleasure to read.

B997a3e0 15e1 4323 99cc bf778a6da88e  52

The new Cook Book by The Culinary Institute of America , The Flavors of Asia [Hardcover] Mai Pham(Author) is excellent Asians recipe book All TRYOUT RECIPES by top CHEFS with great photos http://www.amazon.com/Flavors...

75ddbea1 fea3 41a8 8a5e 3e6bc6b52358  nn n

one more please one of our favorite book simble recipe easy to do but excellent Savor the Moment : Entertaining Without Reservations [Hardcover] http://www.amazon.com/Savor... we tried their Plantation Salad top..

A2985829 12af 4091 8600 2bd14283432e  errrr

Peter

Table9, have you chosen a cookbook yet?

C500ddc6 e20d 457e 8bd1 a3263bf52da5  my love 1

I am narrowing it down between Ina Garten and Donna Hay? They both are simple and have beautiful photos. All the suggestions were so wonderful. I am going to purchase a few of these cookbook suggestions for myself.ha.

Thanks to everyone for all of there marvelous answers...I will let you know which one I choose.