cookbook recommendations...

I am about to start a staycation and need some cook book recommendations! I generally get them from my library. My go-to cookbooks are: Alice Waters The Art of Simple Food, Melissa Clark's Cook This Now, Makiko Itoh's Just Bento. I have Vietnamese Home Cooking right now (great techniques) and just ordered Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes (couldn't wait for the library one).
I just placed a hold for Chez Panisse Vegetables.

Any recommendations for me?

Susan W June 10, 2014

I love all of the America's Test Kitchen books. Also, Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything is a favorite of mine.

HalfPint June 10, 2014

I highly recommend The River Cottage Veg Cookbook. It has delicious recipes even for a carnivore like me.

janeb
janeb June 10, 2014

Italian Easy London River Cafe , Rose Gray and Ruth Rogers is a fantastic cookbook. So many great recipes.

Voted the Best Reply!

ATG117
ATG117 June 10, 2014

Ottolenghi's books, Vegetable Literacy, Nigel Slater's books, Zuni Cafe, Good to the Grain, David Lebovitz's new book (My Paris Kitchen),

Kristen W.
Kristen W. June 11, 2014

I second the Ottolenghi suggestion.

Smedette
Smedette June 11, 2014

"Burma" by Naomi Duguid is lovely.

jane.pilcher1
jane.pilcher1 June 11, 2014

I purchased Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. Took a cooking class at a local university & our instructor made us bread using that book. Six of us ordered the book. I love it!

Ileana Morales Valentine

Nigel Slater! His books are lovely and perfect for some staycation reading. Although, I had trouble finding his cookbooks at my branch. Just checked out Summerland from the library... it's a good one for the season, especially if you like Southern food.

Mickey Fromkin
Mickey Fromkin June 11, 2014

If you can find it, Georges Spunt's "Memoirs and Menus" is a fascinating read.

Pegeen June 11, 2014

Lots of great cookbooks mentioned in the comments of this Food52 article:
https://food52.com/blog...

bamcnamara
bamcnamara June 11, 2014

America's Test Kitchen books are my favorite! Have fun!

jamcook
jamcook June 12, 2014

Try some books that are a bit older you can probably even order them cheaply on a used book site. All the "Silver Palate " books are great. You might want to try "Beard on Bread" too.

T
T September 13, 2017

Hello :)
I think the absolute best cookbook would be the book to This link: http://www.blurb.com/b/8154398-bammy-s-cookbook-a-southern-guide-to-sweets-treats
It is filled with mouth watering treats that everyone will love! Hope you buy the book !

T
T September 13, 2017

Hello :)

AntoniaJames September 13, 2017

Samin Nosrat's "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" would be perfect for a staycation. There are over 200 pages of well-written, helpful text before you even get to the recipes. I borrowed the book from the library, read those pages before the recipes straight through, and then read them a second time, also without skipping a page, while taking notes and daydreaming/extrapolating/jotting down ideas of my own, etc. I highly recommend this book! It's a must-read for intelligent, thoughtful cooks who find the "why" as helpful as, if not more helpful than, the "how." ;o)