Hi! I have triple 0 Italian flour for pizza, but every time I use it,this baby powder fine flour gets so gloppy and won't absorb water. Help

If you have a recipe you like for this flour, please include it!

Diane LL
Diane LL October 23, 2013

I have a wood burning pizza oven. I have tried the 000 pizza flour many times and have had much better results with bread flour and/or all purpose flour. Still tastes fantastic and doesn't fall apart.

michellemybell
michellemybell October 24, 2013

Take a whisk in between your hands like you're in the 'scouts trying to start a fire. Add a small but necessary amount of water while furiously whisking. The more air you get in there at first, the better. Then, after it starts to bind, add the rest as you normally would! A small amount of egg white may help as well. Even just a smidge of oil in the water you're adding may also do you some good. Good luck!

Valentina Solfrini
Valentina Solfrini October 24, 2013

Let me start by saying that there is no such thing as a triple 0 italian flour. You are using some kind of south American flour perhaps?
The flour you're using is probably too low in gluten. How finely milled the flour is has nothing to do with its gluten content. If you want your pizza to come out really well, you need high gluten flour. Try mixing your 000 flour with bread flour or high gluten AP flour in a 30% to 70% ratio. Pizza needs to be well hydrated, especially if you're trying the round pie!

Ed
Ed March 7, 2018

Let me start by saying that triple 0 flour does exist, you must just lack knowledge.

Thomas Gentekos
Thomas Gentekos January 25, 2018

I'm trying to purchase some triple zero where can I buy it

Sam1148 January 25, 2018

What you want is 00 Flour...I don't think there's 000 flour..
For pizza and pastries it's 00
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=000+flour&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A000+flour

For pizza dough I find it best mixed with 2cups bread flour 1 cup 00 flour. yeast water oil salt sugar....and 1 cup water.
Normally it goes into a super hot brick oven at 700 or so. But, after years of testing. for a home oven, I roll it out on the backside of a sheet pan (using sheet of silplat)
The decorate it and into a 375 oven. Yes, that low..it just goes longer about 30 mins...until the bottom is browning. Then on a cooling rack.
The sheet pan lets you move it to the oven much better than a peel and the metal transfers heat very quickly.
I like this method much better than a stone for ease of use.

nutcakes
nutcakes January 28, 2018

Like Sam, I have never heard of 'triple zero'. I use '00'. I can buy Caputo 00 at a Walmart neighborhood store near me. Until they started carrying it I ordered it on Amazon. I use the Roberta's recipe.

Smaug March 7, 2018

Odd- the main advantage I've found of 00 flour is that it hydrates so easily. I've also gone through a lot of types of flour and combinations over the years, and found that a low gluten content works best, but it's not a huge issue- I still sometimes use bread flour. Like any sort of bread, or for that matter just about anything made with flour, touch is vital in completing the dough.

702551
702551 March 7, 2018

There is no triple 0 flour -- at least in Italy.

The finest type is tipo 00 as Italian flour is graded on a 1967 (law 4.7. 1967. n. 580.) based on ash content just like French and German flours.

If the ash content is below 0.5%, the flour is considered to be tipo 00. There is no lower threshold.

Source: http://www.cooksinfo.com/italian-flours

There may be other foreign flour designations of triple 0 but they would be unrelated to the Italian flour designation.

A quick search of Amazon shows no triple 0 flour products available for the US market.

Thomas Gentekos
Thomas Gentekos March 7, 2018

Where did you purchase. I have not been able to find it anywhere

702551
702551 March 7, 2018

If you are referring to tipo 00 flour, I have purchased bags of the Antimo Caputo brand at a local family-owned grocery store.

Most likely you will find this at higher quality/gourmet grocery stores in your area.

The same brand can be purchased from Amazon.com, of course:

https://www.amazon.com/Antimo-Caputo-Chefs-00-Flour/dp/B0038ZS6PU/ref=sr_1_5_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1520442775&sr=1-5&keywords=00+flour&dpID=51LLyv148aL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Best of luck.