I got a cast iron skillet from a friend and I need to season it. Unfortunately, it has rust all over it - how do I get rid of it? What's the best way to season a pan like this?

asked by sammyjgee over 7 years ago

Scrub it in hot soapy water with a plastic scrubber. Rinse it and burn it dry on a gas burner. Rub it all over with canola or vegetable oil and stick it in a very hot oven for 20-30 minutes. Wait, you are not done yet. Cook some bacon in it. Repeat until black and seasoned. This could take weeks.

Nora

Another way to season is to oil it all over (after scrubbing as pierino says) and put it in a low oven for an hour or even more. Then use it! Regular use is the best way to develop the season. You won't want to use soap on it, except in the case of dire emergency. Once seasoned, you can wipe it clean and it'll be fine, most of the time. You can use water and scrub at stuck spots. Then dry it on the eye of a stove and rub the interior with oil again. Keep enthusiastic dishwashers who may want to "help" and don't know the value of that lovely black seasoning. I've had a well-seasoned pan completely de-seasoned that way. I started from scratch and got it back in order.

Queen of Spoons

Agree with all the above I also keep one needing care in the oven for a while and make sure it's lightly oiled. It gets a little extra seasoning every time I preheat the oven.

innoabrd

Always dry it on the stove or you'll get that rust coming back again...

For rust or stuck on food the people at Cook's Illustrated recommend putting a 1/4" of veggie oil into the pan, and heating it over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup kosher salt. Use potholder to hold the handle and a thick pad of paper towels to scrub the pan. Rinse under hot running water, dry well, and repeat if necessary.

jane_perry

Never ever use soap.

happycao

On the instructions that came with my skillet, it also said never to use soap?
I would love to get people's recommendations on what they use the skillet for? I hardly use mine other then for cornbread.

I remain steadfastly in the soap and rinse crowd and mine have lasted 20 some years. But you do have to rinse the soap off throroughly. Don't let it get anywhere near a Brillo pad though. In addition to cooking bacon in it I also use mine for deep frying. Bit of fried chicken definitely gonna hep' maintain that seasoning.

Verdigris

I use mine for pan grilling steaks, carmelizing onions, stirfrying veggies...

Anything that involves cooking with a bit of fat, I will do in a cast iron skillet. But I do avoid long simmers with tomato products as they tend to remove the seasoning in my experience.

I am with Pierino, I use soap and rinse. I find the seasoning is smoother in the long run that when not using soap. And I always driver over the burner or in a hot oven.

After years in a garage, I had some very rusty cast iron pans. As bad as they looked, they were restored quite easily, using all the wisdom above. I have others that I've used non-stop for years, with a permanent home on top of the stove. They are perfect for just about anything. I love the way that eggs and pancakes don't stick. It you saute something aromatic, the next thing you cook will release those scents -- but not the flavors so the next food is not tainted.

leftoverquiche

As a former river guide, we always used cast iron dutch ovens and pans. To get rid of rust scrub with soap, as said before. Make sure to dry well and rub with oil. To clean we would scrub with sand (found on rivers) and water, then lightly clean with soap and water. As long as you don't scub to hard with soap you'll keep seasoning, unless of course your cast iron palette is finicky. Cook anything in it! It spreads heat evenly and almost makes cooking easy! Enjoy your great gift.

bella s.f.

We're in the no soap camp. Scrub with a paste of coarse salt and a little water. Oil it and put it in the oven. You will cook wonderous things in that pan.

mejesster

Soap will hurt the seasoning, but it won't hurt the pan. If you've got rust though, the seasoning is already ruined and you have to start from scratch, so go all out with steel wool and soap. Scrape the rust off with the steel wool, and then follow the seasoning tips from all the other people here.