🔕 🔔

I need to store my cast iron for a few months - what is the best way to do it?

I am moving back home for a few months, and my stuff is going in to storage. I have four cast iron pans (two are very well seasoned and two are seasoned, but used way less frequently). What is the best way to store them for a long time so I dont have to worry? Paper in between? Help! I move on Monday!

asked by Lindsay Randall over 3 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

A paper plate between them would be fine. I think the biggest thing is to protect them from moisture.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I had never-used, unseasoned cast iron in storage, about 6 pieces + lids, for decades. One by one I have retrieved them, scrubbed off the rust and seasoned them. They're in constant use now. So, assume that you will have no problems, but if you do, repair is easy. Detailed advice can by found via the food52 search for Hotline.

820467dc d1b2 4071 ae7b d918a3648548  image

One of the best things about cast iron is that you can't kill it. Before storing , you might want to brush with a little vegetable oil if you are worried about rust.