I need to store my cast iron for a few months - what is the best way to do it?

I am moving back home for a few months, and my stuff is going in to storage. I have four cast iron pans (two are very well seasoned and two are seasoned, but used way less frequently). What is the best way to store them for a long time so I dont have to worry? Paper in between? Help! I move on Monday!

hardlikearmour January 15, 2014

A paper plate between them would be fine. I think the biggest thing is to protect them from moisture.

susan g January 15, 2014

I had never-used, unseasoned cast iron in storage, about 6 pieces + lids, for decades. One by one I have retrieved them, scrubbed off the rust and seasoned them. They're in constant use now. So, assume that you will have no problems, but if you do, repair is easy. Detailed advice can by found via the food52 search for Hotline.

jamcook
jamcook January 15, 2014

One of the best things about cast iron is that you can't kill it. Before storing , you might want to brush with a little vegetable oil if you are worried about rust.