fake blood recipe

Anyone have a good recipe for fake blood? Looking for something not too smelly, like barbecue sauce. Also, nut-free.

Happy Halloween!

sexyLAMBCHOPx October 28, 2013

Check out this site that experiments with different recipes for the best fake blood: http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/fake-blood-recipes

sexyLAMBCHOPx October 28, 2013

Here's the winner: The Best Fake Blood… So Far This recipe combines everything you’ve learned so far about making fake blood and adds a few ingredients that pack a great punch (pun intended... as you’ll see below). 1/2 cup Tropical fruit punch (Hawaiian Fruit Punch® works great) 1 cup corn syrup 2 tablespoons of red food coloring 1 tablespoon of chocolate syrup 2 tablespoons of cornstarch 1 tablespoon of powdered cocoa Combine all of the ingredients in the blender and mix for 10 seconds. Since different brands of fruit punch vary in color, you’ll need to use your vast experience in making fake blood to tweak the recipe to arrive at your perfect batch of fake blood. Some fake blood connoisseurs recommend a cup of coffee in place of the fruit punch. You may need to reduce (or eliminate) the amount of chocolate syrup and powdered cocoa used in the recipe. Remember, it’s all about experimentation! Take the white towel test… drip a few drops of blood onto a white towel to see how realistic it looks. Or better yet... roll up your sleeve and drip a little on your arm if you run into a neighbor! How Does It Work? Take a moment to see how the variables work as you adjust your mixtures... Corn syrup is used to thicken the liquid. Cornstarch is used to make the liquid less transparent. Chocolate syrup and powdered cocoa darken the blood, turning it reddish-brown, and add depth to the color. It may be necessary to add a few drops of green food coloring to change the color ever so slightly to the brown side. Mixing green and red makes brown and a few drops can do the trick. - See more at: http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/fake-blood-recipes#sthash.4HoJy6Vs.dpuf

mrslarkin October 29, 2013

thank you!! Seems so complicated for something so simple like blood. For the most part, we'll be staining a shirt, with a few facial splatters for good fun. Daughter is going as Shaun from Shaun of the Dead. I wonder if beet juice mixed with some thickener might work? Always looks like I've murdered something when I'm peeling beets. We will play around with all these ideas and report back, in case anyone is interested. ha.

sexyLAMBCHOPx October 29, 2013

My niece volunteers for a haunted house and of course comes to Aunties house because I love this stuff. Her Mom doesn't want the mess! Good luck and hope your daughter has a bloody blast!

ChefJune October 29, 2013

sounds like a lot of fun! but I think I'd mix some beet juice with ketchup. That ought to give a good color and texture for "blood."

Dana
Dana October 29, 2013

Use the following:
Corn starch ( 1/2 cup )
Red food dye mixed with a little brown ( 5 to 6 drops )
Sugar ( quarter cup )