Please tell me how one can cut a slice of pie this size, from this kind of pie plate, without breaking the crust. Thank you. ;o)

I'm referring to this: http://food52.com/provisions... Thank you. ;o)

sdebrango November 8, 2013

The link doesn't work AJ.

AntoniaJames November 8, 2013

Hmmm. It's the Pour la tourtière d'Annette Stoneware Pie Plate with the pecan pie in it: http://food52.com/provisions... I also "saved image as," and will try to attach it here. Thanks so much. ;o)

ChefJune November 8, 2013

... Very carefully! ;) Seriously, I have a very pointed pie server that helps. I use a serrated knife to cut the slice, then the pie server to get it out of the dish. Sometimes the hole it made looks better than the piece, though.

sdebrango November 8, 2013

I agree with Chef June, usually my first piece is mine (not too pretty) subsequent pieces come out nicely. I have many fluted pie dishes that I use mine are from emille henry.

Voted the Best Reply!

aargersi November 8, 2013

I think magic is probably involved. And less wine than I have inevitably consumed by pie time.

Greenstuff November 8, 2013

And THAT is the problem with relegating pie to dessert.

Pegeen November 8, 2013

For fluted pie dishes, greasing the sides of the dish with lots of butter and using a sharp, pointed paring knife to loosen the crust from the sides? Whenever I use a ceramic fluted pie dish, as long as I grease all of the side curves well enough, it's usually not a problem.

klrcon
klrcon November 9, 2013

All good suggestions here. I have one more that seems to work pretty well: Never cut just one slice and try to remove it - always cut at least the first two slices before trying to remove one. Not sure why this works, but it does. I never have a problem since trying this tip, which I think I might have gotten from Cook's Illustrated, but I can't remember for sure.

sdebrango November 9, 2013

I'll try that. My first piece is always broken up. Great tip!