🔕 🔔

Please tell me how one can cut a slice of pie this size, from this kind of pie plate, without breaking the crust. Thank you. ;o)

I'm referring to this: http://food52.com/provisions... Thank you. ;o)

asked about 4 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

The link doesn't work AJ.

Hmmm. It's the Pour la tourtière d'Annette Stoneware Pie Plate with the pecan pie in it: http://food52.com/provisions... I also "saved image as," and will try to attach it here. Thanks so much. ;o)

4a2017b1 aa33 41b5 bb60 6f1cb331c14e  pour la tourtiere

... Very carefully! ;) Seriously, I have a very pointed pie server that helps. I use a serrated knife to cut the slice, then the pie server to get it out of the dish. Sometimes the hole it made looks better than the piece, though.

I agree with Chef June, usually my first piece is mine (not too pretty) subsequent pieces come out nicely. I have many fluted pie dishes that I use mine are from emille henry.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

And THAT is the problem with relegating pie to dessert.

For fluted pie dishes, greasing the sides of the dish with lots of butter and using a sharp, pointed paring knife to loosen the crust from the sides? Whenever I use a ceramic fluted pie dish, as long as I grease all of the side curves well enough, it's usually not a problem.

All good suggestions here. I have one more that seems to work pretty well: Never cut just one slice and try to remove it - always cut at least the first two slices before trying to remove one. Not sure why this works, but it does. I never have a problem since trying this tip, which I think I might have gotten from Cook's Illustrated, but I can't remember for sure.

I'll try that. My first piece is always broken up. Great tip!