🔕 🔔

Pie dough free of trans fat or cholesterol

Does anyone out there know of a good way to make pie dough without using anything containing trans fat or cholesterol?

asked by see over 4 years ago

SeaJambon

Olive oil is zero trans and zero cholesterol. I've never made an olive oil pie crust but understand they can be quite tasty. There is a recipe on this site or you can google "olive oil pie crust" for more recipes.

Cookease

I believe Crisco was reformulated to remove transfers several years ago By definition cholesterol is always from an animal source

see
see

Update...
I made the dough today using canola oil. It is very crumbly, but seems to work as a dough.

java&foam

See-

The olive oil pie crust at Post Punk Kitchen (link below) has impressed many people are they might be a good source of future food ideas for you if the rest of your diet is low in animal products. I'm always happily surprised with what I find there.

http://www.theppk.com/2013...

Alternatively, if you have a pie crust recipe you already like and just want to make a substitution...I've heard good things about Spectrum's Organic Vegetable Shortening. It is made with Palm Oil...and apart from being rather high in saturated fat...it has no cholesterol and is trans fat free, as the process they used to make it doesn't require the palm oil to be hydrogenated.

Hope this helps, happy baking!