Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

Maybe a longshot but I am looking for the Cream Biscuit recipe (for strawberry shortcakes, I think) from the pre-Thomas Keller French Laundry restaurant in Napa. The couple that owned it allowed The SF Chronicle to publish it many years ago. It has an egg in it. There was an accompanying recipe for a sauce that was full of butter and cream.

asked by nutcakes about 6 years ago

I found this Thomas Keller Buttermilk Biscuit recipe referenced several times on different websites. The link I attached below has the biscuit recipe, and it also references his strawberry shortcakes on "page 2" but I can't find page 2 anywhere on this link. The biscuits look delicious. This recipe is from his Ad Hoc cookbook, which is very recent.

http://abclocal.go.com...

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I've tried searching for this recipe, but haven't had luck finding it. I did find that it uses an egg in it, so that set my mind to thinking. What if they use a scone recipe and call it a biscuit. The egg gives the scones a cakier texture. http://www.joyofbaking...

hardlike, does that mean you have made it before if you tried to find it? I can't imagine anyone has tried as hard as I have for years. It isn't like a scone, but I could experiment, I suppose. This was my favorite go to recipe for shortcake and sadly lost. I suppose the SF Chron could dig it up, but it is too old to be in online archives.

Biscuit - this was not a Thomas Keller recipe unless he borrowed it from the previous owners. Does it have one egg in it? I just liked it better than regular cream biscuit. The one I'm looking for does not use buttermilk (although I love it for baked goods.)

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

This may also be a long shot - or more trouble than you want to go to - but Don and Sally Schmitt, the owners before Thomas Keller (80's-early 90's), can now be found at the Philo Apple Farm - the website has contact info: http://www.philoapplefarm... (scroll to bottom of page.) Maybe you could drop them a line there and ask if they happen to have the recipe? You never know.

Smitten Kitchen has a cream shortcake that has egg in it from Claudia Fleming. Check it out...http://smittenkitchen.com...

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Is this it?

French Laundry Shortcake

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, diced
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons thickened cream

Instructions:

Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Rub in the butter until the mixture
looks like cornmeal with a few larger pieces of butter in it. Mix in 3/4 cup of the
cream, just until most of the dry mixture has been moistened. Turn out on a board
and knead a few times until the dough just comes together. Roll 1/2 inch thick and
cut into squares or circles or whatever shape you like.

Place on an unbuttered baking sheet. Knead together lightly any scraps and roll once
more and cut. Brush the tops with the remaining 2 tablespoons cream and bake in a
preheated 425F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned and
the dough is set. Cool on a rack and serve while warm.

I haven't ever had it. I just googled it to find out more about it. It appears you are not the only one looking for it. Someone mentioned it had an egg in it, and since biscuits are much like scones I went down that avenue. I hope you find it or something like it, and if it works out let us all know. Sounds like a great recipe to have!

oh--sorry--i just realized that the one i found doesn't have an egg in it.