Suggestions for Strawberry Shortcake base?

I can't believe the local corner lot has berries already! I forgot to buy cream for cream biscuits and want to see if I can avoid a trip to the store. I have milk (no buttermilk) and eggs. I don't want to crack tons of eggs for angel food cake and have leftover yolks. Anyone have an idea?

asked by nutcakes over 6 years ago

McKelly

I still like the recipe on the Bisquick box!!!!!!

mainecook61

Make a plain sponge cake with a bit of grated orange or lemon rind.

I like to use a tender scone as a shortcake base. Take a look at this: http://www.food52.com/recipes...
You can use milk, and perhaps thicken it up with a bit of sour cream or yogurt. If you add either of the latter, add a half teaspoon of baking soda.

MarcusV

Scones are basically biscuits with sugar in them. Julia Child's buttermilk scones are what my wife makes as a base for strawberries. If you have regular milk, add a tablespoon of lemon juice per cup of milk as a substitute. http://www.angelfire.com...

In my world, it isn't Strawberry Shortcake if the base is anything but a tender biscuit. We always make them a little larger for shortcakes. ;)

avimom

I second the Bisquick box! You could also do a sweet cornbread, if you have cornmeal.