🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Cook's Illustrated Foolproof Pie Crust

05d6cc14 3354 4066 89b2 95b2fbfaf3ce  2013 1011 when to blind bake 021

I have a question about the recipe "Cook's Illustrated Foolproof Pie Crust" from Genius Recipes. can lard be substituted for the vegetable shortening ?

asked by Lissa Jo almost 4 years ago

They are interchangeable. But you wouldn't want to choose lard if you were baking for Jews or Muslims...

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I've also substituted coconut oil in this recipe pretty successfully. I scale back a bit on the fat and increase the liquid when I'm going to parbake the crust or I find it shrinks more than I'm okay with.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Or you can sub tallow. You can also vary the butter ratio. Kenji's recipe specs 6 parts butter to 4 shortening. I'm happiest with 7 parts butter and 3 lard.