A question about a recipe: Cook's Illustrated Foolproof Pie Crust

05d6cc14 3354 4066 89b2 95b2fbfaf3ce  2013 1011 when to blind bake 021

I have a question about the recipe "Cook's Illustrated Foolproof Pie Crust" from Genius Recipes. can lard be substituted for the vegetable shortening ?

asked by Lissa Jo almost 5 years ago

They are interchangeable. But you wouldn't want to choose lard if you were baking for Jews or Muslims...

I've also substituted coconut oil in this recipe pretty successfully. I scale back a bit on the fat and increase the liquid when I'm going to parbake the crust or I find it shrinks more than I'm okay with.

ChefOno

Or you can sub tallow. You can also vary the butter ratio. Kenji's recipe specs 6 parts butter to 4 shortening. I'm happiest with 7 parts butter and 3 lard.