canning caramel sauce

I know that the FDA does not recommend making caramel sauce and canning it at home, saying there isn't a high enough acidity to preserve it. BUT at shops I always see caramel sauces in glass jars, meaning they weren't pressure cooked. I used to work for a woman who made caramel sauces professionally and, while she wouldn't hand over her recipe, I helped her make it and it really wasn't so hard. I know there was a bit of baking soda in it to balance the PH but other than that the ingredients were similar to what I make at home when I don't can it. However I can't find a recipe anywhere, and I'd really like one to use for Christmas gifts this year. Help!

asked by Clairelivia over 4 years ago

Donna M

I'm assuming you're talking about canning by the boiling water bath method, and all I can say is please don't try this. It's not just the acidity or lack thereof, it's the fact that caramel sauce contains dairy, and it's not safe to home can food containing dairy products, even using a pressure canner. It is possible by commercial canning methods, obviously. And by the way, the fact that something is in glass doesn't mean it wasn't pressure canned; that's what you use if you're pressure canning at home.

Randy Parr

I feel the need to correct your misinformation. There is no evidence to suggest that properly canning dairy (extended water bath or canning) is not safe. The FDA does not recommend it because there are no studies to suggest it IS safe...why?...because no one has ever done a study. You will not find one credible study that shows it is unsafe. I personally don't understand why they just don't do a study...oh, that's not true, I DO know why they won't do a study...because it will show that it IS safe. Generations have been canning dairy out of necessity for years with no adverse effects. Some feel the food industry is behind the lack of studies...

Clairelivia

Thanks Donna for your answer. The reason I'm asking is because I used to work for a dessert sauce company and we made it regularly without any special equipment. So I know it's possible to do at home if done carefully. That company wouldn't give me their recipe though and I want to be sure to be careful with it as I know the risks.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I'd love to know the name of the company you worked for, Claire, so I can be sure to avoid their caramel sauce. They're really taking a risk if they don't use any special canning equipment.

ChefOno

I'd rather receive a lump of coal for Christmas than a case of botulism.

Maybe change tactics and make caramels instead of sauce?

ChefOno

Brilliant, HLA.

SeaJambon

Or, go ahead and make it, but keep it in the fridge at all times and assume a short (dairy related) shelf life.

Dustin Bessette

What about non-dairy (Vegan) caramel sauce?