making lasagne for dinner tonight. To par boil the noodles or not??? Thank you!!!!!

CookOnTheFly
CookOnTheFly November 17, 2013

Depends on how much liquid is in your recipe. If you are making a traditional sauce/gravy, then yes. If you sauce is a bit soupy, like a cup or so of more water, then no. It also depends on how you are going to layer your lasagna. If you do it like me, sauce, noodles, ricotta/spinach/parm layer, repeat, you sauce needs to be rather thin. I prefer retaining all the flavor of my sauce/gravy and parboiling the noodles.

mensaque
mensaque November 17, 2013

If you're using dry sheets,yes,4 to 5 mins.will do.If it is fresh,no need,but in both cases you need to sauce them.

Voted the Best Reply!

Ronda
Ronda November 17, 2013

I take sheet pans and lay my noodles (single layer) in the pan and pour hot water over the noodles to soften while I am making my sauce, shredding my cheese etc. Then, I assemble and bake as directed. My noodles come out perfect, not over or under cooked.

Dona
Dona November 17, 2013

Ronda, that's exactly what I do. Perfect every time.

ChefJune November 18, 2013

I have not pre-cooked the noodles in my most recent lasagne making ventures, and have discovered that they cook up beautifully straight from dry. And to think I used to waste all that time cooking them first!