Tips on getting mung bean noodles to clump?

Hello all!
I'm making Vietnamese 'Bun Dau Mam Tom' and am trying to get my mung bean noodles to clump together after I cook them, so I can cut them up with scissors into 'cakes' for dipping.
I've had luck with this in the past, but now am having trouble. The only strategy I have tried is 'overcooking' – boiling for ~5-6 minutes instead of the suggested 3.
Most people are interested in making sure noodles *don't* clump together, but in this case my noodles are just too disassociated.

Any tips?? Thank you!!

See the noodles in this photo for reference

E45bd3c8 ab2c 40ba 8067 9471c7466b50  e9020130521111500ep8qt3fv2

HalfPint April 8, 2016

Try this:
-Soak uncooked noodles in water (cold is ok) to soften slightly and drain well. Noodles should be damp but not dripping water.
-Cut noodles into shorter lengths for easier handling
-Toss noodles with potato or tapioca starch to get a light coating on the noodles
-Grease a pan with some oil. Spread a noodles. Steam until noodles are tender and cooked.
- Cut into cakes for dipping.

Or try steam the noodles in a pan.

702551
702551 April 9, 2016

The photo resolution is too small to be of any use.

While I've never tried it myself, you might try to cook a batch of noodles in water to which a small amount of baking soda has been added.

If I recall correctly (maybe a Serious Eats article?), adding a little acidity to pasta cooking water helps with sticky pasta so I'm guessing the opposite is true.

Good luck.