🔕 🔔

Can you use turkey instead of ham in chicken cordon bleu?

I dont eat pork but I would really like to make this dish... would it still work out?

asked by Leah Steinberg about 4 years ago

I use turkey pastrami - but I'm a kosher consumer, so we think it's fine, it will depend on the taste experience of your guests.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

It sounds like your substitution adds a nice, smokey flavor that using ham would give to the dish. I make a "Cordon Bleu" Kiev that I will try with turkey pastrami the next time I make the recipe.

Yes, but... turkey is leaner so you won't get the basting/fat properties of the ham. It would help to see your recipe, but consider using more cheese and definitely roasting for less time. This is one of those substitutions where it might be a very good idea to try the recipe in advance of your actual dinner.

p.s. Turkey is also much more bland than ham, so you'll probably find that you need to add some herbs at some point in the recipe. Again, it would be helpful to see the recipe. I love Chicken Cordon Bleu... bon appetit!

Try a smoked turkey to add flavor.

I absolutely support and respect the orthodox preferences of religious friends. But there are some things that just can not be fixed with substitutes. To make it stranger, among my friends the ones who relish pork possibly even more than I do are Jewish. I still haven't figured that part out. But chicken cordon bleu is a tradition of it's own and reinventing it with turkey is unlikely to give you good results.

You can make anything work, assuming you're not in a Classics contest of some sort. Never give up - but do test ahead if you can, when departing from the classic ways.

Smoked turkey sounds wonderful.

D13b4854 99b3 4ffd b119 5625cec719c5  life as art japanese print 3

It will work out. It might not give it the exact same flavour profile but it will still be tasty as I've already tried versions using smoked turkey before with fantastic results. Trying it with beef "bacon" is also an alternative.