🔕 🔔

Are cockles the same thing as clams?

asked by CatherineTornow over 7 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Cockles are a type of clam, typically smaller than littlenecks.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I've seen really small Littlenecks or Manila clams labeled as 'cockles' at the fish shop, but actual cockles have vertical ridges on their shells. They're tiny, briny and delicious with pasta - I often find them at the Asian fish shop.

Waaaayyyyy smaller than Littlenecks which are actually big clams despite the name. Cockles are another bivalve of the same family. At least in my opinion, the smaller the clam the better the flavor.