🔕 🔔

To jazz up gingerbread cake, can I just plop some cranberries in there? I have a tried and true recipe that is quite liquidy. Or do I need to look up a tested recipe? I can glaze with lemon once it is cooled. Should I do my usual 9x13 pan, or would it be more interested in this Nordic Ware baby angel/bundt pan I found? The party is for 25, there are 2 other desserts (including AntoniaJames's winning recipe on food52.com, but it is too small to take alone.)

asked by nutcakes about 6 years ago
22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I think it'll be fine with dried cranberries in the 9x13. Not sure what would happen if you use fresh cranberries as they'll add more wetness to the batter. If it's for a party, I wouldn't play around too much. I'm not sure it would rise nicely in a bundt pan, unless you've done it before and know it is possible. What is the leavening?

I would add some chopped crystallized ginger and maybe the dried cranberries too, to give the cake a pretty jeweled effect. And some boozy whipped cream to plop on top!

MIne are fresh cranberries, I love them in muffins and quick bread and I have had it in gingerbread before, just not made it. This recipe is foolproof, it will rise in any pan. I'm going to go for it, I guess.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

If you're leaving them whole, I don't think it will make much difference. Whole, there's the skin plus less surface area to exude liquid. I also think the bundt pan would be okay, though since the batter is already wet, you might worry that they'll sink a bit. Sounds delicious.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

If the batter is already a bit liquidy in your recipe, I'd cut a small part of the liquid (1/4 cup at most) from it before adding fresh cranberries. They'll give off some of their own juices and keep it moist. My recipe calls for 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup molasses, 1/2 cup coffee. If I were doing it, I'd cut about 2 Tbls of the coffee and add about 1/2 - 3/4 cup fresh cranberries. My recipe is for a 9x9 square pan, though, and it sounds like yours is double that. Good luck! I glaze mine with a mix of rum, vanilla, and powdered sugar--gives it a nice zing. Now I'm going to have to try your lemon glaze.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

The fresh cranberries will be rather tart, I wonder if you'll need a touch more sugar in your recipe?