🔕 🔔

Suggestions for a mildly Italian themed corn side dish for Thanksgiving?

I was requested to bring a corn dish for the picky eaters at Thanksgiving at my MIL's... T-day is also Italian themed this year. I am at a loss for ideas.

asked by Ntailleart almost 4 years ago

Apart from polenta there are almost no Italian dishes with corn. In Italy it's called granoturco. Typically in Europe corn/maize is used as animal feed. But polenta qualifies as a side dish. Of course I'm the one who always wants to ruin the day for the "picky eaters."

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

How about an "Italian style" corn dish? Here's one for creamed corn from an Italian:
http://www.foodnetwork...

9acfdd05 7247 4ff2 9a6c 9141e73a07c8  52 photo

Tale your favorite corn enchilada recipe, fill with Italian seasoned goodness, your preference there, spoon bechamel over the top and bake. A little non-traditional imagination and maybe starts a new side dish for your family, too!

I like the corn pudding idea and think its more traditional thanksgivingy. Two other options are recipes on this site: ottolenghis polenta with eggplant sauce or polenta cakes with Carmelized onions and goat cheese. Just search polenta and they should come up.

27f45fe8 bdf5 4e2d a8a5 c3cdb93da2de  stringio

Thanks for the ideas! These were all helpful. I am not sure what I'll do yet, but I have a lot of things to think about :)

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Corn pudding is a good idea. I also love corn fritters - and they can be made earlier at home, then reheated in the oven quickly before dinner. I've made them with a little minced ham in the batter before - if you wanted to add a slight Italian accent, you could use minced prosciutto or cooked/crumbled pancetta instead. (Actually, that sounds good...may have to try that!)

Deac5e85 ab6c 4739 826e c35688e6f154  l1020855

A corn,wild rice salad would be very tasty.You could even wilt some Italian greens like Rapini,chop them and fold them into the grains.A simple garlicky vinagrette would finish it off nicely.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

Savory cornmeal biscotti might be another idea. Not a side dish in itself, but would be great to dip into a generous bowl of mushroom gravy.

Here is an idea from Fine Coking: http://www.finecooking...
It isn't Italian, but at least the name is.

172e0078 7bf7 4dbb ae8c a5a1067203a2  twitter
Emily Weinberger

Emily is a Recipe Tester for Food52

I do like the idea of a polenta dish. Ive tried this one and its delic--would be easy to transport to you MIL's in a casserole dish too! Hope this helps. http://food52.com/recipes...

A simple saute of pancetta, corn, tomato and basil is delicious and very easy, though better in the summer when those ingredients are in season. I also use that sometimes as the base of a risotto, though I'm not sure the Thanksgiving table really needs any more starch. At least it's got Italian ingredients in it!
As a side note, it's absolutely true that Italians don't eat corn and many of them will completely turn their noses up at it. We once prepared some beautiful fresh garden corn on the cob for family visiting from Italy - thinking to show off the local cuisine - and one aunt started shrieking that we were trying to poison her with "pig food." She never came back, which was a blessing, but not really what we intended.
Good luck!