To brine or not to brine?

Trying a Nicholas Free Turkey from Fossil Farms. Should I brine? Which method? It would be my first.

asked by Food odyssea over 4 years ago

Big G-man

I am not brining just making a green salt with fresh herbs and salting it at least 24 hours in advance...

Big G-man

just don't over cook...moisture leaves the meat above 160 degrees. That is the key

ATG117

There seems to be a lot of consensus about the benefits of a dry brine. (seriouseats ,among others, have a bunch of articles on the topic.) Not overcooking is naturally also essential.

lloreen

Dry brine. All you do is rub it with salt and spices. It makes the skin crisp and keeps the moisture in.

dymnyno

I did the NYTimes brine last year and my turkey(which was a heritage turkey) came out great...moist and delicious.Definitely would recommend.